How the F%$# do you get the front rotors off a 4x4???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rotors still come off by hand, of course I live no where near the ocean and it never snows here.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the BFH thing about two years ago. The new rotors are not as tight and they can still be removed by hand. I shied away from the blue tipped wrench because I didn't want to over heat the sealed bearings in the hub. Then again pounding the shìt out of the disk must have put a lot of stress on the hub too.

JMC

Old 11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I changed the rotors on my 2002, I had the same problem. I too was using a BFH and trying to pound them off - from the inside. I finally gave up and put everything back together and went to a friend of mine who's a mechanic. He showed me that I was directing my anger in the wrong direction. He took two good swings at the outside of the rotor - which looked like he was pounding it on - and it popped right off. Ah, the value of experience! When I asked him why that worked - he replied "Because you're stupid and I'm not."

Old 11-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spray004
My rotors still come off by hand, of course I live no where near the ocean and it never snows here.
They all come off by hand, some just need bigger hands.. I just had to change my rotors and ended up with the 12lb bfh. Still took about a 10 wacks to break the thing loose.

Now if the weather permits I have to tackle those emergency brakes..
Greg

Quick Reply: How the F%$# do you get the front rotors off a 4x4???