Fixing The Brakes Once and For All

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing The Brakes Once and For All

My 1999 has the common soft brake pedal, but I feel that it is very soft. Like coming to a normal stop, it'll only be 1" - 1 1/2" off the floor. I've heard that converting to disc brakes and replacing the rubber brake lines with braided lines will fix this problem. How hard is it to do all of this? How much will it cost me?

Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zaairman
My 1999 has the common soft brake pedal, but I feel that it is very soft. Like coming to a normal stop, it'll only be 1" - 1 1/2" off the floor. I've heard that converting to disc brakes and replacing the rubber brake lines with braided lines will fix this problem. How hard is it to do all of this? How much will it cost me?

you have front disc brakes from the factory

when is the last time you bled the system and changed the fluid?

brake fluid is a moisture magnet and will break down over time...

when is the last time you had the rear drum brakes adjusted?

...zap!

Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Whooops, I forgot to mention that it was the drum rears that I wanted to convert to discs. I've tried adjusting the drums but it's not helping

Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say to start with the easy (and cheap) stuff first--make sure the system is bled and fluid is replaced. If that doesn't do it, then (I know you can do this on my 95, I assume you can do it on your 99) it may be helpful to adjust the pedal travel by disconnecting the pedal and unscrewing it a little. This makes the brake booster engage a little earlier, but you have to make sure it doesn't make your brakes drag. This may solve the issue entirely.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:33 AM
I had the same problem on my 99. I have rear disks so converting yours to disk probably won't help.

Over Thanksgiving I replaced both front calipers and of course bled the system. It is a world of difference in braking now.

If I was to do it over again, I would try bleding the system before investing the $250 for both.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 PM
I've already done all of the cheap stuff.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Any ideas?
I can hear a squeaking sound when I lightly put on the brakes, not a constant squeak but a squeak squeak squeak squeak.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the rubber lines on my 98 replaced with the steel braided lines.
I didn't have any real problem to start with, just thought it would be good upgrade as I am always trying to go faster.
I paid about $ 100 for the lines, and the same to have a brake shop install them, pressure bleed, etc.
I like the result; it makes the pedal feel firmer, and seems to stop with less pedal pressure. LOL

Old 12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Where did you get the stainless brake hose? How much will I need to buy? How long did it take to install?

Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I had the rubber lines on my 98 replaced with the steel braided lines.
I didn't have any real problem to start with, just thought it would be good upgrade as I am always trying to go faster.
I paid about $ 100 for the lines, and the same to have a brake shop install them, pressure bleed, etc.
I like the result; it makes the pedal feel firmer, and seems to stop with less pedal pressure. LOL
I haven't done this on my truck, but did this on a motorcycle. Definate improvement!

Old 12-22-2005, 12:17 AM
How much of our brake hose is actually rubber? I was kinda looking today while I was changing the oil and I maybe saw 1 ft. at each front wheel and that looked like it.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Found this out the other day - If I pump the brakes a little, the pedal will stay firm, and not go down, as long as I keep my foot on it. Whaddya think? After I take my foot off and drive, it goes back to mush.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by mobandit
I haven't done this on my truck, but did this on a motorcycle. Definate improvement!

I am a motorcycle freak and race my sport biek on the track. Braided lines will help. On vehicles as such where the load and pressure is not as great nor demand for4 stopping power, I am not sure how it will affect the truck guy.

I think and everyone knows it. Ford has poopy brakes. Its that simple. With tall the dust problems, etc, its not worth it. Just do the routine maintenance, and go with it. UNless you are like me and try to make the bike perfomr better, we never push the Ford that hard ever as it coulnd't take it.

So just realize you have what you have and drivbe it. Welcome to the club of brake failure or sub-satisfactory levels. We all have your problem.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Question

But the pedal shouldn't be 2" off the floor during normal braking or while sitting at a stop. Also, when I pump the brakes once or twice and the pedal gets firm (like it feels normal), it doesn't sink back down while my foot is on it. So it couldn't be the master cylinder could it? The system isn't losing any fluid.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:49 AM
The rear automatic adjusters are worn out. There is a complete kit. I don't know the number. I have had the same problem. I usually adjust them at every oil change.

Sean

Quick Reply: Fixing The Brakes Once and For All