Maintainence free aluminum wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, if I had it done it would be right out of the box. Living in the Northeast, it hard to find decent rims and Im not going to put stock wheels on for the winter. I want a taller wider tire for all year round. I need to find a good painted rim.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not, the best finished / most corrosion resistant wheels are factory wheels. I run my factory wheels in the salt and aftermarket wheels in the nice weather. You can also find some awesome deals on factory take off wheels if you check around. E-bay is a good place to start.

One other caution. Wider tires are the kiss of death in slippery conditions such as snow. Although they may look great, the best width for snow is actually very narrow. Check out a World Rally Car if you don't believe me. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Believe it or not, the best finished / most corrosion resistant wheels are factory wheels. I run my factory wheels in the salt and aftermarket wheels in the nice weather. You can also find some awesome deals on factory take off wheels if you check around. E-bay is a good place to start.

One other caution. Wider tires are the kiss of death in slippery conditions such as snow. Although they may look great, the best width for snow is actually very narrow. Check out a World Rally Car if you don't believe me. Good luck!
I know about the snow tires and your right thats one reason I only want to go to 12.5 wide max. If I had fx4 rims I wouldnt even be looking for new wheels but I have the ugly steel chrome xlt wheels.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Cragar makes a chrome 17x9 wheel I'm considering for around $85 each. I don't know the quality but they can't be any worse that my aluminum ARE Mojaves.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Thanks, if I had it done it would be right out of the box. Living in the Northeast, it hard to find decent rims and Im not going to put stock wheels on for the winter. I want a taller wider tire for all year round. I need to find a good painted rim.
You being completely surrounded by salt water doesn't help your wheels either.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by 6T6CPE
You being completely surrounded by salt water doesn't help your wheels either.
I know 4x4 on the beach wont help either, im just screwed.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I'm a big fan of Wenol too, but I much prefer to NOT have to use any kind of polish on my wheels. The problem with aftermarket wheels is that nobody seems to want to put any kind of protective coating on them. Even the chrome plated ones don't compare to a factory chrome wheel from a durability standpoint. By the way, the Zoop product does a decent job of sealing the surface of aluminum to prevent oxidation. Unfortunately, it's no substitute for a clear coat.
I know this is a really old thread but does anyone have a recommendation for a wheel that will hold up like the factory wheels in a wintery state that exposes them to road salt? I'd really love to do away with swapping wheels out for summer/winter but in my experience aftermarket wheels just don't stand up. One winter on aftermarket wheels and they are pitted whereas 5 years on OEM and they look almost the same as original.

Was considering XD Addicts either black or polished Are these clear coated? Would they hold up? My current Moto Metal chrome wheels look like crap and I don't even run them in winter!

I'm sure if I washed them more often that would help but I want a wheel that matches OEM quality for resistance to weathering/pitting/corroding so I don't have to.

Quick Reply: Maintainence free aluminum wheels?