98 brakes, rotors, fluid, pads.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 brakes, rotors, fluid, pads.

I'm going to redo the brakes on my 98 nascar.

The truck has 61k miles on it. Last year i put pads on it, and didn't touch the rotors.

Now its a little spongy, and i think the right front rotor is getting warped.

So i'm going to redo the brakes on it.

I had the front wheel bearings repacked at around 55k.

I want to do rotors, pads, and fresh fluid.

A few questions for you guys.

Can I change the rotor without having to repack bearings/etc?

I really don't need to spend the money on drilled rotors, so i'm looking and tirerack has the brembo blank rotors for 69 bucks each, and I can get some ceramic pads also.

What brake fluid do you guys like? Is it ok to mix dot4 with the factory dot3 stuff?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 02-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I can't really tell what you have. Your ID says thunderchicken, you say nascar truck ( Iknow there was a nascar edition, not sure if you're using sarcasm)

You can buy the crossdrilled/slotted zinc plated rotors from R1Concepts on ebay for the same price shipped to you. I paid like $220 for all 4. I'd try the EBC Greenstuff pads, they have an awesome bite and very little dust.

I don't recall right offhand, but I think dot 3/4 can be mixed. Verify that first though

And if the rotors are floaters they can be changed without touching the bearings. But if they aren't floaters, and you're changing the rotor, then you'll want to replace the bearings.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I have a
1998 nascar edition f150, and a 1996 ford thunderbird lx thats not exactly stock...

Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
I was just poking at you with the thunderchicken remark. I had an 88 turbo coupe once. That thing was way ahead of its time. I had a 92 Cougar with a 5.0 too, it was fun as well.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Be advised - when you shop for rotors, specifically tell them that you've got a NASCAR edition truck. The rotors are different, I forget how exactly though. This'll probably only matter if you buy OEM rotors, but still, something to know.

In regards to repacking the bearings, that's on you. You could take the old bearings and plop them into your new rotors and go, but since you've got everything tore down, you might as well repack 'em with fresh grease.

DOT 3 and 4 are interchangable, although you'll get the best performance by flushing the system and running DOT 4 only instead of mixing the two. DOT 5 is not interchangable with any of the others.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
i thought you were selling your truck justin? I remember you had a for sale thread a while back on TCCoA?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:11 AM
yep still got it, didn't get quite what i wanted for it, now that its paid off its become more valuable to me (no car payment is great)

Old 02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I would look into the www.frozenrotors.com slotted rotors and the one of the pads they offer. You will not warp them and will notice a much better braking performance.

Quick Reply: 98 brakes, rotors, fluid, pads.