Can't put this altogether......

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't put this altogether......

Just bought a Gray '06 S'Crew XLT. It has the "uncool" (trying to be nice) factory chrome wheels. I stopped by Discount Tire and looked at the MB Bruzer and Gunner 6 wheels w/Goodyear 275/55-20 or 285/50-20 tires.. The bruzer with the dark gray finish looked great on my truck . Here is my dilemma...don't know whether to go with the 20" wheels or stick to the factory size 17". A Ford Service advisor mentioned to me that most of the OEM 20" wheels don't have enough clearance between the wheel and the caliper and it will keep knocking the weights off. I should install a spacer.
Also, I did not realize how much thought goes into buying the right wheel and tire combo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if these questions are redundant as I did not go through the whole thread.

Thx.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably misunderstood or he had it backwards. It's the 17's that you may have clearance issues with. Sometime during the 05 model year, Ford changed to larger brake calipers. THis is causing fitment problems with some aftermarket 17 inch wheels. Some will fit over the calipers, some won't. If you go with a 17, be sure they check the clearance before they start mounting and balancing tires. Personally, I'd go with the 20's at least (22's would look even better). They will look a lot better than the 17's.
Also, welcome to the site.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Wandell. As for the ride, which will affect the ride more? I don't want to feel every bump. So, the 22" wheels will affect the ride more, correct?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really, the difference is worth it to me. I believe the overall ride handling of my Expy is better will 22's. THe ride is a little firmer, but handling is much better.

Quick Reply: Can't put this altogether......