In Need of Wandell Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool In Need of Wandell Help

I've been browsing this sight since I first got my '02 FX4 SuperCrew. I bought it used and quickly replaced the factory wheels and tires even though they only had 19,000 miles on them. I think I pretty much jumped the gun at the time instead of waiting to upgrade when I could afford a lift and the tire / rim size I truly wanted. I'm currently running on stock suspension with 17x8 American Racing Pythons wrapped in ProComp All-Terrains 33x12.50x17. At the time I really wanted to go with a 10" wide rim but the guys at 4wheelparts talked me out of it saying that it would wear out my hubs. So I listened. Now with 70,000 miles on my truck I'm not really sure if I want to invest the money into a lift so that I could fit 35's under it. My goal though is to obtain a beefier look to my truck and tires / wheels. I'm not overly impressed with the current stance. So I would love some suggestions. I was considering the Nitto Terra Grapplers as my tire of choice. I also thought about putting them on a 16x10. First of all, is it bad to go with a 10" rim and would this achieve the desired result? And how big could I go with my tire size on that size rim? Sorry for being long-winded, but just wanted to give you all the info and my thoughts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16x10's will make a noticable difference. You can run a 33x12.50 (305/70-16) on them by simply trimming a little plastic off the front bumper's lower valance. I've had 16x10's since 2001 and havn't had any problems and I don't know anyone who has.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it and as soon as I make the investment, I'll post pics on here and see what you think. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Cool More Questions for Wandell (and anyone else)

I was looking at the Nitto website and looked at the specs for the tire size you suggested. It says in their chart that the approved rim width is only up to 9.5". I noticed from your profile that you're running a tire approved for a rim width of only 9" on a set of 16x10's. Am I right to assume it wouldn't be a problem for me to run those 305/70R16's on a 10"? Am I also right to assume that the 325's would be a little to beefy to run without more modification? What tool did you use to trim that lower valence? Last question, I know you're running BFG's on your crew, would you strongly recommend those over the Nitto's or would either choice be ok? I've had BFG's before, but in a smaller size and on a base model f-150 xl. I thought they were quite stiff and had a hard time getting them balanced. Don't know if that was the installer or the tire. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Right, 285's are recommended for a max rim width of 9 inches. However, I have over 45,000 miles on my BFG's with no problems. A 305/70-16 would be a better choice. I don't have 305's because BFG didn't make that size in 2001. The BFG's are an excellent tire and I have no complaints. I would highly recommend the BFG AT KO's. The Nitto's are also an excellent tire. Also, I trimmed my valance with my pocket knife in about 10 minutes. It's really easy.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Question Current Set-Up

Sorry to keep buggin you. Here's some pictures of my current set-up. I would like your opinion again. Am I wasting money just going with new rims and tires? Should I add a lift? Is cranking the torsion bars the only way to level out our body style?

Last edited by russ10screw; 04-11-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Nice Screw! If you want a lift, go for it. The 33's on 10 inch wide wheels look great, but if you want a lifted truck, you want a lifted truck. Also, cranking the torsion bars is the only way to level our trucks, other than lowering the rear.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Red face

Dang you Wandell. You gave me just enough encouragement to push me over the edge into getting a lift when I make my upgrade. Now I think I'll probably go with the body lift over suspension just because of cost and I really don't need to go as big as the suspension would take me. So my next question is, what body lift would you recommend and what all is involved with that lift? Meaning, will the installer of the lift re-align everything such as bumpers and the tow hooks on the front? Are the step bars attached to the body or the frame? Do you leave the tow hitch at the same level and your exhaust? Would I need to trim my frame like you did in the front or would they do it? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: In Need of Wandell Help