almost lost a wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost lost a wheel.

I had new eagle alloys put on my truck on sat (march 25) and yeaterday I was driving on the highway and all of a suddun the front end and steering wheel started shaking violently. I pulled over and inspected the truck and found that the driver side front wheel had broken one lug stud and that the other four lug nuts were hand loose. Tighened them up and checked the rest of the truck and the others were fine. I only put about 55 miles on the new rims before this happened.

Anybody ever hear of this? I called the tire guy and he kind of blew it off saying that they should be re-torqued after 100 miles....I said thanks for telling me this now.....then I asked why they were that loose on only one wheel and he had no answer for that........

but he said that the lugs that come with the Eagle Alloys are the old style and are prone to loosening ...I have not heard of that before (kinda think he was covering up for not torquing that wheel in the first place) and was wondering how often everybody re-torques their rims?

Made for a scary ride.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always check new wheels every 25 miles for at least the first 100 miles. It takes a lot of aluminum wheels a while to take a set. Most will be fine after 100 miles. They should have told you this before you left the shop.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Suspended
It is common practice to re-tighten after you install wheels, but the shop should have told you that without a doubt.

I say you make the shop replace the lug nut and if the wheel is damaged blame them. that is, assuming they installed them and you didn't just buy them and do it yourself at home.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
It is common practice to re-tighten after you install wheels, but the shop should have told you that without a doubt.

I say you make the shop replace the lug nut and if the wheel is damaged blame them. that is, assuming they installed them and you didn't just buy them and do it yourself at home.
Nope I bought the wheels and took the truck to the tire place to have the tires mounted on the wheels and put on the truck. The only thing he explained was how to care for the wheel (i.e. wax it every three washes to keep them polished). Never mentioned re-torquing the wheel. Its not something I would have thought to do as I have not bought new rims for a car in about 15 years (my old car had nice rims from the factory).

Still in all I was very shocked that all 5 lugs had become hand loose. That seems more than just not re-torquing....the other 15 lugs where still tight. The shop is replacing all of the lug studs (in addtion to the broken one), all of the lug nuts. They tell me the wheel is fine...it only suffered a minor "egging" of the wheel holes, but that it will be fine........

Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 PM
i had something similar happen to me. we were about to go on a 200 mile trip to my grandparents. so the afternoon before i change the oil and rotated my tires. so the next morning we leave and when i got about 2 miles from my house i could tell something wasn't right. the steering was real shakey. so i pull over and try to find out what was going on. i had forgot to tighten the driver side front wheel. it was hand tight, i just don't know how i missed it. tightend them up and everything was fine.

back to topic. i agree that if there is any damage that they should pay for it.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by dodge_slayer01
i had something similar happen to me. we were about to go on a 200 mile trip to my grandparents. so the afternoon before i change the oil and rotated my tires. so the next morning we leave and when i got about 2 miles from my house i could tell something wasn't right. the steering was real shakey. so i pull over and try to find out what was going on. i had forgot to tighten the driver side front wheel. it was hand tight, i just don't know how i missed it. tightend them up and everything was fine.

back to topic. i agree that if there is any damage that they should pay for it.
Its a scary thing. Anyhow the shop is making it right. I am sure someone got a good talking to after I left. Mistakes happen ...but at least nobody got hurt.

Quick Reply: almost lost a wheel.