CrossDrilled? Slotted? Both? Dimple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CrossDrilled? Slotted? Both? Dimple?

I have been searching around, but have been unable to get a solid answer for my question. I am going to buy some new rotors. I was wondering who has had the best luck and with which? I want something that will last the longest and I will be able to turn if needed. Can you turn slotted? I know they say you cannot turn cross drilled. I was thinking of just slotted?

What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hah! good luck on getting a 'solid' answer. Take a search through this forum, there are numerous long long long posts on the subject, and no 'solid' answers.

Myself? Unless I was looking at heavy towing or hauling, f I were going to upgrade any part of my braking system it'd be the tires. That's 'where the rubber meets the road' so to speak.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:37 AM
why switch out your rotors?? the benifit besides looks isnt worth the money unless you plan on racing or doing 70 through neighborhoods. if anything go with slotted. drilled tend to crack under hig heat and pressure. think about it...you're taking away a good piece of the rotor.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by dmontzsta
I want something that will last the longest and I will be able to turn if needed.
OEM (flat surface) should last the longest.

--Joe

Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Everyone will give you a different opinion about rotors. I have always wanted the cross drilled and slotted rotors, myself. I would have to think that they would help your stopping ability due to the reduced heat and gases.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by b_j__h
I have always wanted the cross drilled and slotted rotors, myself. I would have to think that they would help your stopping ability due to the reduced heat and gases.
Modern pads do not give off much (if any) gases. And unless you are track racing heat shouldn't be an issue.

--Joe

Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for the opinions. My blanks are warped and also not turnable, they have some nice grooves in them, so it is time to switch them out, this is the ONLY reason I am changing them. I keep my Expedition pretty much stock. I have read over and over and heard how the Expedition brakes are pretty weak and warp easily. I do tow up to 4,000-5,000lbs. This is where the brakes get used the most, when I am not towing the car is used by my wife, to take my son back and forth to school and she does not drive it hard. I do notice when I am towing my boat and have a car full of people, it does not want to stop and heats up fast, especially going down big hills. I am going to give the slotted only a try. I just want the brakes to cool down a little faster in between brake bursts going down hills with the family and boat.

BTW: I am getting my rotors through www.rotorpros.com good place.

Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Hey guys thanks for the opinions. My blanks are warped and also not turnable, they have some nice grooves in them, so it is time to switch them out, this is the ONLY reason I am changing them. I keep my Expedition pretty much stock. I have read over and over and heard how the Expedition brakes are pretty weak and warp easily. I do tow up to 4,000-5,000lbs. This is where the brakes get used the most, when I am not towing the car is used by my wife, to take my son back and forth to school and she does not drive it hard. I do notice when I am towing my boat and have a car full of people, it does not want to stop and heats up fast, especially going down big hills. I am going to give the slotted only a try. I just want the brakes to cool down a little faster in between brake bursts going down hills with the family and boat.
try down shifting going down hills. let your RPMs slow you down

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224360

montzsta,
above ia a string that has TONS of both very technical and simply put info in it. Kinda long but I think it will help you make your decision.

If you don't have the time than the basic synopsis is get good pads (EBCs are good) and good flat rotors and the important part is flush and replace all your old brake fluid.

don't waste your money unless your looking for the drilled or slotted look.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: CrossDrilled? Slotted? Both? Dimple?