Rotors & brakes AGAIN???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it when chicks ask about BJs

With the factory rotors, mine lasted about 15k miles before being warped. I had them turned under warranty at ~17k miles and ~35k miles. At ~45-50k miles, I replaced them w/ Powerslot rotos and Hawk HPS pads. It now has 94k miles and I recenlty replaced the Hawk HPS pads w/ EBCs. I did quite a bit of heavy trailering in that time, which shorted the Hawk's life. They still had pad on them when I replaced them; however, a thin metal strip on the back of the left outside pad came off and I was feeling a grinding in my brakes. I ordred the EBCs, and went ahead replaced the pads while I had them off. The Hawks put out a lot of dust than the EBCs.

I have ~50 k miles on the Powerslot rotors w/ out any problems or warpage. Also, they don't experience brake fade like the factory rotor/pad combo.

FYI - powerslot are Brembos that have been slotted, and BJs = Brake Jobs

Congrats on the pregnancy - I have been busy and haven't much time to keep up w/ the boards. My 3rd is due in July

Last edited by 36fan; 04-26-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
36 - Congrats on #3 and thanks for the brake & rotor suggestion!

Apparently my brakes are fine just some dust, so while it was there I went ahead and had them do the 15K checkup just to make sure everything was cool with the truck. So here's there the story begins... I pick up my truck from the stealership around 445pm and head towards home (30 minutes away) to pick up my son from daycare. Not even a mile down the road the "check gauges" light comes on, beeps at me, and the accelerator shuts down to safety mode. WTF??? I look at my gauges and my thermostat is pegged beyond hot. So I'm in the middle of a 4 lane road with NO shoulder to pull over, stuck in the middle of rush hour traffic. LUCKILY the truck idled long enough to get me to a grassy spot where I could pull over. I call my Service Advisor and he gives me the number to their tow company. I call and they say 30 minutes. Good, cuz' that will be just in time for me to get a rental car before the rental place closes.

So here I am, 5 months pregnant sitting in my truck on the side of the road after an extremely stressful day at work, trying to find someone who can pick up my son from daycare before they close (in 45 minutes). Luckily I was able to get a hold of hubby and he left work to get Brad.

"FOUND ON ROAD DEAD! HA HA HA" and "GET THAT PIECE OF SH*T OFF THE ROAD" were my two favorite comments I heard while waiting. :-( Yea, so 40 minutes later the truck driver calls saying he's 30 minutes away. WTF? I call my service advisor guy back and he begs the rental car guy to stay late so I can get a car... NOPE! I ask "Can i just give them all of my info over the phone?" NOPE! Son of a biscuit!! I ask if we can just have the truck looked at tonight since the Service Department is open until 9pm? He says, "Oh yea, they should really take those signs down because service isn't open that late." ACK!!!! So I call the main dealership number asking for any manager who's available (mind you, this is after 6pm now). Finally get a sales manager and I explain the situation and want to know if there is anything possible that we can do.... the assclown tries to sell me a new truck over the phone? WTF? #!(!&!&!@) So the tow truck driver finally shows up and hubby is now at the dealership waiting for me. We get to the dealership and hubby is outside talking to some guy who looks like a manager. All of a sudden a mechanic comes out and takes my truck into the bay to look at it and see if it's a quick fix. 30-45 minutes later and the truck is running fine. Apparently there was a bubble or something in the coolant lines and the coolant wasn't flowing to the engine. I DUNNO! But yea, so we got home after 9pm last night.

(edited to add) I forgot to mention that the dude who yelled "Get that piece of sh*t off the road" was driving an early 90's Ford Ranger! That gave me a good laugh.

Last edited by Racerchick68; 04-27-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha ha ha I KNEW IT! Hubby called around to 4 different Ford dealers to see if a "bubble" was really possible. Everyone said basically "It would have to be one UNGODLY airbubble to cause the truck to overheat". So yay, my lucky day. I get to go back to the dealership and get something in writing that states they will cover any damages that might come up as a result. UGH!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Racerchick68
ha ha ha I KNEW IT! Hubby called around to 4 different Ford dealers to see if a "bubble" was really possible. Everyone said basically "It would have to be one UNGODLY airbubble to cause the truck to overheat". So yay, my lucky day. I get to go back to the dealership and get something in writing that states they will cover any damages that might come up as a result. UGH!
Good luck with that....

Sorry to hear about your trouble though.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
WHAHOLLY S#!T. What a day that was. As far as service goes I've had less than desirable service from my dealership as well, but thats for another time.

Anyway as for your brakes. If in the future you want to change some stuff out here is info I posted in another thread.

"I work for a hot rod parts company and we sell SSBC brand brakes which makes alot of kits including ones for these trucks. A complete front kit with a 3 piston floating calipers, turbo slotted rotors and new pads (which dont give you the dust the stock cheapies do) runs 1,225.00 and a rear turbo slotted rotor and pad kit runs 425.00. The rear calipers can't be changed out because the caliper bracket is attached to the rear end housing.

SSBC also offers a front AND rear turbo slotted rotor & pad kit for 825.00

So you've got some options. You can look at their products at ssbrakes.com and put your truck into the vehicle product search to review the kits. And if you want to go this route let me know and I'll hook you up."

My best on your new one to come!

Quick Reply: Rotors & brakes AGAIN???