Need Help getting rim off - 1991 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help getting rim off - 1991 F-150

I have a 1991 Ford F-150.

I was leaving New Orleans tonight and I had a blowout on the Spillway Bridge. I could not figure out how get the rim off of the truck.
I took all of the lugs off and the center cap. There seems to be some sort of plate, about 3" in diameter, in the middle of the tire.

The rim would not come off even after kicking it. I'm obviously not a mechanic. I have to go out there tomorrow a get the rim off. Does anyone know what I'm talking about. please help.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Your rim is probably seized to the brake drum; this often happens when wheels are not removed often.
You'll need 2 things, a sledge hammer, and a large punch or piece of shaft. If you have aluminum wheels, you cannot strike the rim anywhere, or else you will deform the wheel, risk cracking it, etc.

For steel wheel :
Place the punch between the wheel studs and bash on it with the sledge. Go around in a circle between all the studs, around 3 times. If not loose yet, wail on the tire itself (what's left of it) or the back side of the wheel, banging outwards.
For aluminum wheel :
More touchy. Use a block of wood instead of a punch. I prefer to hammer the wheel outwards from underneath the truck, with a helper holding your block for you. Turn the wheel after every hit. And for god's sake, PUT SOME GOOD STANDS UNDER THE AXLE !!!!!

If this doesn't work, I have great pity for you.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:51 PM
if it does hold air a little bit u can jack it up on stands, fill the tire to max rated on the tire and hit it on the TIRE NOT THE RIM from the inside hitting outward. spin the tire 1/4 turns as u do this. if it is just blown out completely u can head up the rim A LITTLE and spray some penetrating lube on in the stud holes and around the center. if not steel just the lube no heat. if its not steel use a rubber mallet and hit away just try to not dent it.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM
I know that this may sound a little crazy but here's what I did for the same situation. Loosen the lugs but leave them on most of the way. Drive the truck slowly and carefully and turn the wheel back and forth until you can feel the wheel shake the truck then stop. Your wheel should now be loose! Should work no matter if its one of the wheels on the front or back of the truck. Hope this helps!

Rob

Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes. That was it. The rim was sealed to the drum because of rust. I was able to get it off using a crowbar. Thanks for all of the replies. Now if I could just figure out how to get better than 14.4 mpg in my V-8, I'd be doing good.

Quick Reply: Need Help getting rim off - 1991 F-150