mixing E rated tires with P tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mixing E rated tires with P tires?

Some of you know the obvious answer, so share it with me. I want to replace my rear axle tires (P) with load E rated tires. I tow a 5000 lbs. travel trailer occasionally and want the stability of multi-ply, stiff sided tires. They are to be removed and the P tires and rims reinstalled after trips. Since I don't have the money or need to buy 4 E rated tires, is this a feasable idea? Anyone else try this? Any bad side effects? Thanks in advance for answers.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have a properly adjusted weight disbrituting hitch, the front and rear axles should both take the load of the trailer. 5000 pounds = 500-750 pounds of tounge weight. P-rated tires in F-150 sizes are rated well over the axle ratings. I'd invest in a WD hitch with sway control before Load E tires.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok, a little more info: I drive an '02 S'crew, and of course it is of very short wheelbase. Wheelbase is the issue here for towing a 30' travel trailer probably closer to 6500 lbs. (Tail wagging the dog syndrome.) I have a w/d hitch and Reese dual cam that works very impressively. I get much less sway than most any other rig setup here, but want to totally remove it. Short of welding the trailer frame directly to the frame of my truck, will E rated tires (on the drive axle only) fix the sway issue, or should I break down and buy all four? Thanks

Old 04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
personally i would just go get a set of E rated tires. if u mix and match they will just go to poo. differant tires size ( even say 285s ones with 40k miles and ones with 0 miles in the back can screw with ur transfer case since their going at different speeds. its kinda like doing a gear swap and only changing one axle, but not to that extreme. i guess its up to u but i personally would just go with the set of 4 and either keep them on full time, or just put them on during the hauling season or hauling trips. just be warned if u do switch all 4 for hauling remember that ya the tread will last a lot longer but they still might dry rot and what not.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't say for sure, since I've never mixed tires like that before, but I would not waste the money on E rated tires for a 1/2 ton pickup (your wheels are not rated for the max 80 psi of pressure E range tires require for max load). D rated would even be overkill IMO (65 psi at max load)...

I've got LT265/75/16C (50 psi at max load) on all four corners and tow a 22', #5000 travel trailer. It's not a 30', #6500 unit like you mention, but I only use a standard WD setup and I "don't need no stinkin' sway control"

You can never "eliminate" trailer sway IMO.... My rig tows very stable, but it'll let you know it's back there, for sure!

Since you have a 30' lever being controlled by a 20' lever, the trailer is at the advantage and if things get bad enough, that trailer is going to decide where you go, no matter what you have done.....

When you use a properly setup WD setup, it will distribute some weight to the front axle, so you would want to have some stiffer sidewalls up front as well since they are also taking some of the load and they are what are actually controlling the direction your rig goes....

My recommendation would be to get a set of load range C tires and pump 'em up to the 50 psi when you tow and run 'em at around 40-45 psi when empty....

That's what I do and seems to work well for me...

good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I run load range "E" Revo's, not for towing, but because I tear up tires in rocks. If you plan on rotating tires I would think that the same tire all around would be the best.
I haven't noticed much difference in the ride or stability of the "E" rated tires.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanx MitchF150, your response seems to be the best for my situation. Now to try to find 275/60R/17 load rated tires.

Wetanner, you mentioned rotating tires. I plan on using the load rated tires only for traveling, and switching back to the "P" tires on return. By the way, are the Revo's a rugged off-road tread pattern?

RacerF150-2, I didn't mention it earlier but mine is only a 2wd, so the transfercase is not an issue.

Thanx to all...

Old 05-02-2006, 10:11 AM
The Revo's don't look that aggressive, but I am very demanding on tires and I have been satisfied. If you want real world go in off road, (havent been in much deep mud) Revo's are a good choice. Goodyear KO's look the best but they didn't hold up like I thought they should.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hummm... That's only a 30" tall tire, so yes, you will have a hard time finding that size in a LT version I'd think....

It being a 60 series tire means it does have a lot shorter sidewall then your average LT tire does, so that in itself should provide you with a stiffer sidewall, even with a P rating...

What are your tires max cold psi? I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but you could try running them about 5 psi above that and see what happens.... I run my trailer tires about 7 psi above the whimpy 35 psi recommended because I'm running at around max weight for them and I can 'feel' a difference in tire temp on them with the added psi. They run cooler at the higher psi... Guess what psi I had them at when I got my one and only blow out with them??? Yep, at 35 psi..... That was 4 years ago and I've not had any tire issues since then.

Ok, I know trailer tires are different then truck tires, but still.... What's it going to hurt? Give it a try and if it don't work, put 'em back to the lower psi... If it makes a difference, just pump 'em up like that when you tow and lower the psi when you don't.... That's freaking FREE!

Mitch

Quick Reply: mixing E rated tires with P tires?