Need Brake Upgrade Help BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Brake Upgrade Help BAD!

Guys, I need everyones expert opinions. I have a brand new 2006 5.4L 4X4 that I want to put new pads on to help with horrible dust problem I am having on the front wheels. I figured because I have the money, I would go ahead and replace all the pads, front and back and put new upgraded rotors on the front. I am really at a loss as to what direction to go. I am looking at a couple different combo's and want to get some input on which you guys would think would be the best.

1. Basic Brembo non slotted or punched rotor that f150store.com advertises for 69.95 a piece and Hawk HPS pads

2. Pro Slot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Pads

3. EBC 6000 series "green stuff" pads and EBC slotted rotors

4. Brembo non slotted rotors and EBC 6000 series "green stuff" pads.

Guys I really appreciate your input on this, my goal is to cut down on dust and increase the overall stopping power.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I appreciate your input, I decided to go with Pro Slot Cryo treated rotors and Hawk HPS pads all the way around. The front rotors cost me $235 and the Hawk pads were 67.95 for fronts and 55.95 for the rears from AutoAnything.com. I did use a "truckin" discount code on this order to get those prices. Hopefully I made a good decision.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Which Hawk pads did you go with? I have been debating between the Hawk HPS and the Hawk LTS pads.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
I went with the Hawk HPS pads. I thought long and hard about the LTS, but everyone talks about the HPS and how well they like them, so I stayed in line with everyone else.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I just wonder how long they will last with the abuse from a truck. They are made for performance and a Supercrew is not the lightest of vehicles. The LTS are made for trucks and SUV's, so I don't know why people do not use them.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by b_j__h
I just wonder how long they will last with the abuse from a truck. They are made for performance and a Supercrew is not the lightest of vehicles. The LTS are made for trucks and SUV's, so I don't know why people do not use them.
I've read a few negative reviews (like three or four) about the LTS, concerning lack of initial bite and how they lacked stopping power after a few thousand miles.

I don't know if these reviews are true or not, I have no experience with them. Also unknown to me are the condition of the rotors on those trucks, or even if the pads were bedded poperly.

I only use the HPS pads. But I also tow a 7,000 pound boat, and the HPS work great for me.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We just got the Brembo non-slotted rotors and the EBC "Green Stuff" pads, front and rear, for my dad's '04 2WD Supercab and gonna put them on in the morning. I'll come back and let you know how they are.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by MBMILLER25
I appreciate your input, I decided to go with Pro Slot Cryo treated rotors and Hawk HPS pads all the way around. The front rotors cost me $235 and the Hawk pads were 67.95 for fronts and 55.95 for the rears from AutoAnything.com. I did use a "truckin" discount code on this order to get those prices. Hopefully I made a good decision.
Let us know how you like them when you have them installed! Report back on stopping power increases, etc...as they're plenty of us who are in your boat.

Thing I'm worried about is a brake upgrade really isn't that successfull on a stopping power increase unless you bleed the brakes and upgrade your fluid AND increase rotor and caliper size. Other than that, it's mostly a big improvement in brake dust. Which then again is worth it because the dust is uber bad.

Right now I'm going to try Akebono ProAct ceramic pads as they came highly recommended. Then I'm having the calipers painted red to add a touch of "aftermarket" look.

Interested in seeing how your setup turned out!

Duke

Duke

Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Put the new cryo treated pro slot rotors and Hawk HPS pads on this past weekend. I put new pads on all four wheels but just put the pro slot cryo treated rotors on the front wheels. I am very happy with the dust issue. I cleaned my tires spotless when I got done with the brake upgrade and have no dust issues right now through 3 days of driving. This isn't a great sample size but after three days with previous setup my wheels would be well on there way to turning black. I am not unhappy with the stopping power, I just really don't notice much of a difference in the stopping power that I have now versus what I had in the stock setup. I made the change purely from a brake dust standpoint though, as I have no hauling needs, and as of right now I am very happy with it from that perspective. Hope this helps you guys out.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Glad it worked. I replaced mine with a premium semi-metallic, Wagner Thermo Quiet, about $48. They have been great.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Let us know how you like them when you have them installed! Report back on stopping power increases, etc...as they're plenty of us who are in your boat.

Thing I'm worried about is a brake upgrade really isn't that successfull on a stopping power increase unless you bleed the brakes and upgrade your fluid AND increase rotor and caliper size. Other than that, it's mostly a big improvement in brake dust. Which then again is worth it because the dust is uber bad.

Right now I'm going to try Akebono ProAct ceramic pads as they came highly recommended. Then I'm having the calipers painted red to add a touch of "aftermarket" look.

Interested in seeing how your setup turned out!

Duke

Duke
are you going to upgrade your rotors?

Old 06-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by bushwickbill
are you going to upgrade your rotors?
Nope. I just had Ackebono proact ceramic brake pads put up front. That made a big enough difference to turn my braking with 22s back to stock performance. I also painted the calipers for looks, they turned out awesome. Check the 04-06 forum for pictures.

Duke

Quick Reply: Need Brake Upgrade Help BAD!