New Rotors What Type Slotted or Crossed Drilled & Slotted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Rotors What Type Slotted or Crossed Drilled & Slotted?

What type of rotors do you guys think are best?
slotted only rotors have more mass to get a bite on.
slotted & cross drilled rotors have less mass to bite but more cooling.
which do you guys think would offer better braking power?
i'm running 35's and will soon be going to 37's so i'm looking for more braking power.
i cant go to a big brake kit since i have 17 inch tires and already have the
37's for those same wheels and big brake kits need a minumum 18 inch wheel.

thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Just my opinion mind you.

Cross drilled only as they cool the system without wearing out the brake pad.

Slotted tend to very finely shave the pads resulting in premature wear.

In my experience anyway....

Old 06-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, you should have just asked what's the best brand of oil to use!!! Basic physics says plain rotors are the best for surface area alone. Many will say the performace gain from slotted or cross-drilled outweigh the surface area benefit. The other half of many will say slotted or cross-drilled are not worth it and don't make any difference on the street on a normally driven vehicle. Some will also say the slots or the holes will crack no matter what. At the end of the day, regardless of opinions on here, you should end up buying what you think you like. It's your money and you can't go wrong either way. I am a firm believer that on the street (no matter what kind of driving you do) you will NEVER feel the difference. There's only three things that I have ever tried that honestly result in a truely improved brake performance or increased braking power...1. increased rotor diameter. 2. more clamping power with improved calipers. 3. stainless braided brake lines. Other than that, it's all in your head. Me personally, if I had a good looking wheel with a great view of the rotors, slotted or cross-drilled (or both) is the only way to go. If not, spend your money on better bang-for-the-buck upgrades. Oh yea, the slots or the holes are also not for cooling...they are for out-gassing the gas/heat created by the pads against the disc or something like that. Creats a cushion between them. The slots/holes expell those gasses for a firmer solid seat between the pad and the disc. But, since you asked...I am actually getting ready to do the brakes on mine and I'm gonna go with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and green stuff pads. The EBC rotors are a little cheaper than Power Slot and have a great reputation...not so much around here but in the motorcycle community, so I'm gonna give them a try.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Galaxy
Why do you come to these boards for, just to make you feel better?
I don’t believe in going off the subject but man do you even know what the boards were intended for?
If you don’t like a question then do yourself and us a favor and don’t answer, just go onto another question you do like.
Its people like you that make others not want to ask questions.
You know galaxy you make me realize why the saying " Opinion's are like A**holes, everyone has one" was created, they must have meet someone like you before.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh yea, the slots or the holes are also not for cooling...they are for out-gassing the gas/heat created by the pads against the disc

Umm Ok,
but to me out gassing the HEAT is the same as cooling...

At least in these parts......

Old 06-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cesardajr
Galaxy
I don’t believe in going off the subject but man do you even know what the boards were intended for?
If you don’t like a question then do yourself and us a favor and don’t answer, just go onto another question you do like.
You know galaxy you make me realize why the saying " Opinion's are like A**holes, everyone has one" was created, they must have meet someone like you before.
Why in the hell would you say something like that??? First off, I don't see how I got off subject. Second, I was just trying to provide some usefull information that may help, And third, I thought I did provide my "opinion" as to what I would use. After all, you were searching for an "opinion" the moment you said "what type of rotors do you guys think are best"?? I didn't think I was being a jerk at all, but oh well. I think I've put up a total of 5 post this week which is the first time I've been here in months so I don't know what you are basing your statements on???? Guess "you" got offended. Was the info I provided too much for you?? My intent was for you to have some good usefull information and not get any false expectations about some super improved brake job. As for harborbreeze's comment, it's not the same thing. Maybe I didn't explain it right, but it's not the "heat" between the pad and the rotor. It's the layer of air/gas caused by the heat and the dust from the pads. That layer of air acts as a cushion between the two. The holes or slots rid the gap of that air cushion allowing a firmer seat. But, if that's too much for you guys, then yes...it cools!!

Finally, my apologies to anyone else reading this thread that was offended by what I said, thought I was being a jerk, or just annoyed in any way...That was not my intent!!

Last edited by Galaxy; 06-25-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by cesardajr
Galaxy
Chill!

Back on topic...... Glad you posted this, Cesardajr, as I am looking for more information on this. I found rotors & Hub assembly at Napa for $156 Cross Drilled, or $119 for Plain-O's, Since I'll be towing/hauling a lot of lumber and equiptment I think that C.D. rotors would be beneficial.

On your end I'd agree that if you have big wheels that allow a clear view of your rotors and you are in it for looks as well as function you might go all out and sport for the gold colored rotors that 1 Company offers in either Jegs or Summit Racing I wish I had some for our 'Hoe, the 22's and Nittos would look even better. Like Galaxy said though its your $ and your choice. But if you want more braking power you might consider the big brake kit ( save your money instead of buying fancy rotors, so you could buy 18's+ and the kit and show them off, then), especially if you plan on getting bigger diameter tires in the future. stock brakes can only handle just so much rotating mass.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:35 PM
cross drilled rotors crack under heavy use. not because cross drilling sucks, but because most cross drilled rotors out there are crap . . they are machined or drilled

real high quality cross drilled rotors are cast wiht holes from factory. the only purpose they serve are to extend pad life on racecars, and to look nice on street queens

if you are gearing towards an all work no play pad go slotted. and not those cheap *** ones where the slot ends before the lip of the rotor, buy osmething decent like powerslots where the slot extends all the way out to vent heat and ensure there is nothing between the pad and rotor

Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
True cross drilled and slotted rotors look cool, but I agree with galaxy and the others on this one. You dont need those types of rotors unless you are in a racing situation where you are rapidly decelerating to negotiate a corner and you are making your rotors glow cherry red or are in danger of boiling your brake fluid, because as galaxy said the vents and slots are there to dissipate the gasses created by the friction created at high speeds. And I agree that a larger rotor and pad combination along with incresed clamping force by better calipers with more pistons (not necessarily more force, but more evenly distributed due to the multiple pistons) good pads, and good ventilation in the rims should be plenty. However it is a trde off too, because larger rotors equal unsprung weight, which negatively affects your handling. So unless you are driving hard enough to induce brake fade you don't need it. And if you do decide to go with it (your $$$$) Go with a quality, race proven product, like Wilwood, Baer, Brembo. Not only do I tow a 5,000 lb racecar/ trailer combo to the track every weekend on stock brakes with no problems, I also go abuse those high quality vaned/slotted/cross drilled rotors. So just my .02 but doing that to your truck would be like supercharging a Yugo.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I had a set of the Raybestos Brute Stops on my 99f150 they warped, didn't notice anything on braking.

Sold a few sets to an amored transport co. for some of their E350 vans. They did last a bit longer but still overheated and cracked. Also tried them on another customer's e150 vans, same result overheating and cracking.

Granted both sets of vans were usually loaded heavier than they should have been. The e150 vans usually get new rotors and pads at every oil change.

I wouldn't waste my money, I had mine cut but they weren't worth the cash i laid out for them.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Rotors

I purchased a set of Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors from www.ROTORPROS.com and they are great. I guess everyone does have an opinion on this!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I have rotorpros slotted/zinc coated rotors for almost a year and they are still silver.And they DO stop better than solid rotors,but only after driving thru big puddles.. ...Seriously,theres no braking down time after the water..

Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by kingofthehill
I purchased a set of Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors from www.ROTORPROS.com and they are great. I guess everyone does have an opinion on this!!!
Their prices are so competitive that they beat Checker, Napa and Autozone in my area for their brakes. My goodies are on the way

Last edited by FordsRock98; 07-18-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by kurtbuschsucks
Go with a quality, race proven product, like Wilwood, Baer, Brembo.
I agree. My first thought was Baer, 2nd, Brembo.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
After running cross-drilled rotors for years, I got sick of cr@ppy pad life, typically just 10K miles on my truck.

I'm not 100% certain that it was the rotors causing my rapid pad life, but I suspenct it was.

At any rate, I now run Brembo blanks (not drilled or slotted) and stopping power seems the same. I don't driver her much these days so I can't comment on pad life at this point.

Quick Reply: New Rotors What Type Slotted or Crossed Drilled & Slotted?