Pro comp Vs. Mickey Thompson

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro comp Vs. Mickey Thompson

In both rims and tires what is your opinion. Who is better? Who is better priced. Better Quality? Tire wear? I am looking at the lock style rims. Both pro comp and mickey thompson make one, but mickey thompson dont make a chrome one. Chrome is better right?

What are your reccomendations/opinions

Old 07-23-2006, 09:34 PM
its all prefrance

Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM
I am making the same choice

I think that I saw in anoth thread that you are looking at 17x9 inch rims. I am looking at the same choice--the pro comp 6079 v. MT classic lock. Here is where I stand. The mickey thompsons have 5.5 backspacing, wehich is preferble to the 4.75 on the pro comps. However, as you said, the pro comps are chrome while the MTs are polished. An issue for me is whether they will fit my 06. I think that I have determined that both would, based on photos from other users on this site. Therefore, you basically have to decide whether the MT backspacing outweighs having chrome.

I also saw that you were trying to decide on tires. I am leaning toward the Pro comp xtreme At over the BF Goodrich At. However, I had the BFs previously, and loved them. So I continue to debate. I have heard nothing but good things about each. I think that the pro comps look a little more aggressive.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
I believe that both PRO COMP and MICKEY THOMPSON are both made by COOPER TIRE CO. I would say that perhaps the Mickey's have built a longer reputation as compared to pro comp but pro comp does offer some nice styles. I would also agree that it is a matter of preference. What would you feel comfortable with?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Just my quick two cents as I've been looking into wheels recently and have picked up a little knowledge that may be useful.

Polished Alloy Wheels, if not coated like your factory wheels, will need periodic polishing to keep thier luster. From what I read it was 2 or 3 times a year.

Chrome on Steel Wheels will start to show rust within a few years if not properly protected. Exspecially if you live in the "salt belt."

Chrome on Alloy Wheels I understand are the most expensive. I don't recall anything specific that the artical mentioned as a negative.

I hope that helps, a little anyway,

Doug

Old 08-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with chrome wheels on my truck over polished. I was looking at the dc-1 wheels in 17x9 but I didn't like the fact they are polished. I have had both chrome and polished wheels... polished are a pain to keep clean.

As for tires they both make good tires. I have had BF Goodrich AT, Toyo AT, right now I have Pro Comp MT love them (only have 2000 miles on them). The Mickey Thompson MTZ is a sweet looking tire... I would look into those if you go with MT. If you look around on the internet you can find some good deals on Pro Comps. I got mine for $185 a tire for 33x12.50x17's.

Quick Reply: Pro comp Vs. Mickey Thompson