Just curious about tread depth vs mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious about tread depth vs mileage

So if a tire with a 50K mile warranty comes from the factory brand new with a tread depth of say 12/32" and theoretically 2/32" is "worn out, each 1/32" is equivalent to approximately 5K miles?

In essence, the same tire worn down to 10/32" has about 10K miles on it, right?

Old 07-28-2006, 07:41 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire compound can vary by tread depth. I would not say that tread depth wears evenly per mile for all tires. Traction in wet or dry can also vary non-linearly by wear. My Goodyear ATS's had what looked like half the tread left at 40k miles, but became very hard and lost wet snow traction significatly. Other tires I've had were better with 4/32 tread than the ATS's with 10/32.

Also, people drive differently. City miles, highway miles, hard cornering, spinning tires all affect tire wear. I would not make many assumptions about tread depth and miles used or miles left.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree...tread depth has nothing to do with mileage...and tire compound has lots to do with it...but, if you have lots of tread left, then you'll probably get plenty more miles out of that tire, but you can't just look at tread depth and tell how many miles are on the truck..._motes

Quick Reply: Just curious about tread depth vs mileage