ABS control Module and Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS control Module and Motor

I have the same problem as many of you both the ABS light and the Brake warning light are on. I have a 2000 F150 4x4 with rear ABS and 124k miles.

I have had it in too, two garages they say everything in the brake system seems alright. Neither could get any codes, weird because the lights were on.

Based on some searching the 2000 F150 commonly needs the ABS control module replaced (about $300). Some on this site have said about the ABS motor freezing up.

Where are each of these and how do you diagnose them? I think the motor for RABS is mounted right under the master cylinder. Is the control module in the dash?

All help is appreciated!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Whoa!!

Fix the reason for the BRAKE light first.

Warning Indicator Lamp

The red BRAKE warning indicator is constantly monitored by the anti-lock brake control module. If the red BRAKE warning indicator illuminates, the anti-lock brake control module will disable the RABS II system and turn on the yellow ABS warning indicator. For this reason, diagnosing and resolving any base brake concerns illuminating the red BRAKE warning indicator will, in most cases, resolve a perceived RABS II concern.
Scan tools that will read 4WABS codes START at about $1000. Most independent shops don't have them.

Since you say you have RABS, you can pull the codes yourself. If you have 4WABS, the scan tool is needed. Verify which system you have. Look at your front wheel spindles for any wiring harnesses. In there are any on the spindles, you have 4WABS.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-04-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS control Module and Motor