Wheel choice--need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel choice--need help

Alright, I know this topic has been covered a couple of times, but I would like to ask once more before I buy my new wheels and tires this weekend. Here goes.

I am debating between Pro comp 6079 17x9 v. Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 17x9. Here is the rub. I like the look of the MTs better, and they have 5.5" backspacing as opposed to 4.75" on the Pro comps. If that were the end of the story, I would get the MTs hands down because I really do like the look better. However, I keep reading the chrome v. polished debates, which are making me have second thoughts. The pro comps are chrome while the MTs are polished. Does the chrome alone make the pro comps more desireable? How big a pain in the *** are the polished wheels? I live in Florida and don't do any offroading, so whichever wheel I choose, they will not be exposed to extreme conditions.

Help a guy out. (tire question in next thread)

Old 08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in the Florida climate you should be fine with the polished wheels. Up here in the north where I'm at the chrome will hold up better to the road salt and grime during the winter months. Either way you go, the best thing you can do is keep the wheel clean and put an occasional polish on them. That will make them look better for longer.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is your truck? If I is 97-03 than 4.75 backspacing will be fine, but if it is a 04 and up 4.75 backspacing will stick out.

As for polishing your wheels. When I had polished wheels it would take me about an hour a wheel to polish them. I think if you can get chrome wheels like you want go for it... you will be much happier.

Quick Reply: Wheel choice--need help