changed front rotors now low pedal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changed front rotors now low pedal???

I just changed my rotors and now my brake pedal is low, the shaking is gone but the pedal is low.

The pads were still good so I didn't replace them and it seems as if the fronts won't even engage. I know they are but it doesn't feel like it with the pedal. Is this correct: The top half of the pedal is the front and the bottom half is the rear (give or take)?

Any chance I got air in the lines when I pressed the calipers back taking the pads off?

I am thinking maybe the pads got to hot and crystalized or something!!!

Can brake pads get so hot that they become ineffective?

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:05 AM
It sounds like you have air in the brake lines. You need to either bleed them by having someone pump up the brake paddle while you crack open each bleeder at each wheel one at a time. Be sure to check the brake fluid while you are doing it and add to it. You could use one of those brake bleeder vacuum Mity Vac kits if you don'y have anyone to help you. My brother and I pumped up enough brake paddles for my dad when we were growing up.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:53 AM
I just did the same basic job on my 2004 and had the same problem. Going out to the driveway at 1000pm to bleed the brakes on "her" car (expy)....I'm not popular at the moment for breaking the car w/a "brake job". She's already teasing me calling it the great "break job".

All seriousness...did this fix your problem? Did you do the bleed yourself or take it in to a mechanic because of the abs issues involved?

I'll chime in to advice how my attempt goes.

Cheers,

E

Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by b1dude
I just did the same basic job on my 2004 and had the same problem. Going out to the driveway at 1000pm to bleed the brakes on "her" car (expy)....I'm not popular at the moment for breaking the car w/a "brake job". She's already teasing me calling it the great "break job".

All seriousness...did this fix your problem? Did you do the bleed yourself or take it in to a mechanic because of the abs issues involved?

I'll chime in to advice how my attempt goes.

Cheers,

E
He changed rotors, not a brake bleed, no reason you would have gotten air in the lines just swapping rotors. The new rotors aren't thinner, are they?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
similar ?

my question is basically the same except i changed just the pads and not the rotors(they still appeared to be in good shape). i seated them when i was finished and it feels like you need to push further on the pedal to stop now. any help would be appreciated(dont like takin it to shops, what a rip) but i do know i have had the truck 3.5 years and never even looked at the back brakes(it always stopped good after a front change) my ? is can the reason i have to press the pedal further now because i need back brakes? or should i have a good pedal eventhough just the fronts are good? oh yeah the other weird thing is when i compressed the caliper on the driver side it pushed some brake fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. after i put the pads on both sides of the truck and put the cap on the reservoir i seated the brakes and took it for a quick spin. when i came back to check the fluid level in the msreservoir it was full. now since it spit some out wouldnt it need some to replace it?

Last edited by roscoe01c; 09-11-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Yea, I'm still running with a low pedal - I haven't had much time to fool with it lately. I did try bleeding the brakes, hell I even changed the brake fluid since it was dirty. No luck. And the shaking is coming back, wtf? I think it's from the upper ball joints being loose though.

Oh well, I'll get it eventually!

Quick Reply: changed front rotors now low pedal???