Best Stopping Power For The Money

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedfreak

Brembo and AP racing brake system, exact space is 11mm using a template and I would think that I need 5mm for clearance, then there is SSBC brake sys. Which clearance specs out at 1.14 = 1 3/8 I think? It seems like I don’t have many choices to do this right.
I called my rim guy just to see how much more for a set of different wheels he said that was a problem with the big brake system up grades. I want better braking for my truck, but I don’t want to pay with my first-born.
Its funny every body says they have a system for my vehicle but when I do research nothing seems to work.
This brake project is starting to be a real pain in the _______.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by speedfreak
I have on more than one occasion shaved the caliper as much as 3/8" to clear an aftermarket wheel before.
Especially if its cooling fins making contact.

I'd ask the brake companies if its safe to shave a corner off, might be an easy solution and give you some options for which kit to go with....

Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'd be surprised how well cermic pads and decent solid rotors perform for $200. Slotted and drilled rotors tend to shorten pad life.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by APT
I think you'd be surprised how well cermic pads and decent solid rotors perform for $200. Slotted and drilled rotors tend to shorten pad life.
Yup, slotted or drilled look cool, but the majority of street pads don't really give off gasses so the whole "vents the gasses" thing is misleading......yes they would vent them, if they were there.....

What company makes said ceramic pads and good rotors for our trucks? Mine could definately use a stopping power and pedal feel upgrade. How about stainless lines, whats a good source for these trucks?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by APT
I do not disagree but a four or six piston caliper has to be better
I’m thinking of going with SSBC only because I can’t get Bear or Brembo to work with out a wheel spacer with my existing wheels

I would really like to use Bear or Brembo but I don’t see it happening

Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'd rather see how $200 feels before spending 8 times that for an alternative. If you've got $1600 to put towards brakes, the risk of throwing away $200 isn't too bad. If your stock brakes lasted 6 years, then cermic pads plus good vented rotors with the OWM 2-piston caliper will be a significant improvement.

Slots and holes provide better cooling for better performance.

There are several cermic pads that people on here like. I liked the NAPA Ceramix I had on my 99 F-150 and just put the same on my 2003.

Rotors: Bendix OEM is very popular, but I am happy with the mid-grade NAPA rotors.

Quick Reply: Best Stopping Power For The Money