Best Stopping Power For The Money

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Stopping Power For The Money

I just installed a supercharger on my 2000 F 150 SC 4 x 4 my brakes are not stopping very well these days I was looking to up grade front brakes to a set of performance rotor and pads or Bear’s, SSBC or Brembo brake system
any suggestions on the one I should get

Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by otirado
I just installed a supercharger on my 2000 F 150 SC 4 x 4 my brakes are not stopping very well these days I was looking to up grade front brakes to a set of performance rotor and pads or Bear’s, SSBC or Brembo brake system
any suggestions on the one I should get
Look at www.rotorpros.com . I have them on my Superduty and will put some on my Expo in a few months. Also ask them about their "no-dust" pads. I have the slotted and drill on mine and love them. Price is right too.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Was It Not Stoppin Good Before You Put The Blower On? If It Was You Might Have An Underlying Problem. Don't Put Bigger Brakes On It Because You Think You Have To. That Stuff Gets Pricey. Check You System Talk To Some Other Mechanics,see If There Is Not A Problem. The Only Thing I Can Think Of Is Some Kind Of Vaccum Problem With The Brake Booster And The Blower.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Every now and then I like to act like a Juvenal, but the reality is that I still have to use the truck for work. I’m a locksmith in New York City and the bed of the truck has a cap and a tool box that weight approximately 1000 pounds that I have to ride around town with every day

The bear system caliper to big for the B Coddington Wheels that I have, the Brembo system is a little to big for the pocket $3150.00 so I’m thinking SSBC system is about $1,600.00 more or less still shopping
Thank for the response guys

Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Best bang for the buck towards increasing stopping power, hands down, stainless braided brake lines!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stainless braided lines don't improve stopping power. They only improve feel through the pedal. You haven't changed the stopping power of the system at all. Yes, they are relatively inexpensive though.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
The Baer Eradispeed + 1 kit is a decent buy. Not as pricey as the complete 4 and 6 piston caliper / rotor kits. Just uses a braket to move your stock caliper out enough to work with the included larger diameter two piece, vented, drilled rotor. Had a set on my 03' Z-71 Tahoe and it improved the stopping distance for around $1200 I think. Just recently I bought a BP caliper/rotor kit for the wife's QX56 from Stillen. The rotors were similar to the Baer kit, but it also included a heavier duty caliper, pads and stainless brake lines. This ran $1500.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:04 PM
powerslot rotors and pads will run you 600 or under for fronts and rears.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I’m trying to install a Bear brake system model # 4261018 on my 2000 F 150 4x4,I have a set of 20” B Coddington smoothie 2 wheels the offset on the wheel doesn’t clear the side of the caliper, the only way that it will clear with existing wheels is if I install a 1” wheel spacer.
The wheel spacers that they made 10 years a go and the ones the make now are a big improvement I see a lot of 4x4 off road guys use them
What do you guys think I should do?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Stainless braided lines don't improve stopping power. They only improve feel through the pedal. You haven't changed the stopping power of the system at all. Yes, they are relatively inexpensive though.
BS. How can having the capacity to clamp something harder or more effectively not increase stopping power?? I've done this on several vehicles and one was with a front disc/rear drum car, no ABS. You physically could not lock the brakes up on this car. After changing to braided lines, and that was the only change, you could lock them up at will. I know locked brakes don't improve stopping distance, but my point is the effects of increased clamping power to the calipers most definately does increase stopping power.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
BS. How can having the capacity to clamp something harder or more effectively not increase stopping power?? I've done this on several vehicles and one was with a front disc/rear drum car, no ABS. You physically could not lock the brakes up on this car. After changing to braided lines, and that was the only change, you could lock them up at will. I know locked brakes don't improve stopping distance, but my point is the effects of increased clamping power to the calipers most definately does increase stopping power.
Don't get sidetracked here people....he's specifically asking about his 2000 Screw, which most likely has ABS, which would not in theory, be any better off with braided hoses. No real advantage/need to locking brakes up when you have ABS.

CHIA

Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Galaxy,

With all due respect - as a Mechanical Engineer - here's why the lines alone don't increase braking system power. The big thing you gain with SS lines is a decrease in the hydraulic energy lost when a conventional brake line deflects / opens up slightly when fluid pressure is applied. Remember, not only are you applying pressure to the piston in the caliper, but also to the inside walls of the line. By the way, the amount of deflection / energy loss here is very, very small.

When you go to SS lines, you decrease the deflection - which leads to a much more solid feeling pedal. So does this increase braking system power? Well, I guess if you really twist my arm I could say that the energy you used to loose through line deflection is now directed to the caliper. But the true lose is so small, you'd be hard pressed to calculate it. We use SS lines in the race car because our driver has this silly fear of loosing the brakes at 140 MPH due to a $3.00 part failing. What a whimp!

Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Galaxy,

With all due respect - as a Mechanical Engineer - here's why the lines alone don't increase braking system power. The big thing you gain with SS lines is a decrease in the hydraulic energy lost when a conventional brake line deflects / opens up slightly when fluid pressure is applied. Remember, not only are you applying pressure to the piston in the caliper, but also to the inside walls of the line. By the way, the amount of deflection / energy loss here is very, very small.

When you go to SS lines, you decrease the deflection - which leads to a much more solid feeling pedal. So does this increase braking system power? Well, I guess if you really twist my arm I could say that the energy you used to loose through line deflection is now directed to the caliper. But the true lose is so small, you'd be hard pressed to calculate it. We use SS lines in the race car because our driver has this silly fear of loosing the brakes at 140 MPH due to a $3.00 part failing. What a whimp!

OK...Agreed!!! With all of that. I still stand on my humble opinion that the braided lines are the best "bang for the buck" mod you can do to a brake system. Yes, CHIA is right about the whole ABS thing, good point. But that's a superficial (for lack of a better word) interference that prevents the system from doing what the benefit of the brake lines would allow...if that was even remotely a good way of describing it...ahhhh forget it. They're awesome.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by CHIA
Don't get sidetracked here people....he's specifically asking about his 2000 Screw, which most likely has ABS, which would not in theory, be any better off with braided hoses. No real advantage/need to locking brakes up when you have ABS.

CHIA
You are missing an important point here, the ABS only comes into play if/when you have enough clamping force to lock up the tires. You can improve braking power significantly in most cases, especially from higher speeds, without getting into locked up tires and ABS kicking in. Under your theory, none of the aftermarket brake kits would help either.....

Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by otirado
I’m trying to install a Bear brake system model # 4261018 on my 2000 F 150 4x4,I have a set of 20” B Coddington smoothie 2 wheels the offset on the wheel doesn’t clear the side of the caliper, the only way that it will clear with existing wheels is if I install a 1” wheel spacer.
The wheel spacers that they made 10 years a go and the ones the make now are a big improvement I see a lot of 4x4 off road guys use them
What do you guys think I should do?
Do you need the full 1" of the spacer or does you wheel just barely not clear the caliper? Just asking because I have on more than one occasion shaved the caliper as much as 3/8" to clear an aftermarket wheel before.

Also, regarding the wheel spacer question. I posed this a while back in another thread and the general consensus was that it was not a good idea.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=249422

Last edited by speedfreak; 09-05-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Stopping Power For The Money