rear brake drum help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake drum help.

This is my first time doing rear brake drums (boy do I wish they were disks) but am getting kinda frustrated. I was wondering if there was a full walkthrough with nice big color pictures of each step. The manual I have is kinda hard to see. Any tips/hints yall suggest? I am doing I guess what you would call a full brake overhaul. I bought packages that have all new springs and whatnot. got my drums turned. Bought some new pads. Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:40 PM
drum brakes suuuuuuck! them springs are a major PITA! Tips..... Lots of patience, BIG needlenose pliers, needle nose vise grips and a buddy to help you out. Also make sure you back the adjusting wheel off enough so that the brakes dont drag when you re install the drums.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drum brakes are about all a good Chilton manual is good for. They have pretty decent pics in there too.

Use a brake spring puller and the job will be a hundred times easier. Pulling those springs with a screwdriver is a royal pain in the ****!!

-Joe

Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I agree - just did my rear brakes and they are a pain in the butt. The correct tools for removing and installing the springs helps a lot.

I always recommend buying both the Chilton's and the Hayne's manuals. What one does not show well usually the other does. I found the pictures to be better in one than the other, but I can't remember which.

Steve

Old 08-23-2006, 07:57 PM
If you can get a digital camera and take pictures of the springs and assembly before you start to remove anything could come in handy when everything is stripped off the back plate and you've forgotten the sequence to put things back. Print the pictures off on regular 8.5 X 11" paper for reference.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:06 AM
I've never used a spring tool before, but I've always used the needle nose vice grips. A buddy is always a plus, but it can be done on your own.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Take the other wheel and drum off and use it as a guide to how everything goes back together.

Quick Reply: rear brake drum help.