Front brake vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Front brake vibration

About a year ago I purchased lifetime ceramic car-quest pads for the front . I got a bad vibration when braking that has been driving me nuts. I figured the rotors were warped so I just replaced them with new Brembo's. Does the same thing . It's been vibrating like this for 6 months before I got around to replacing the rotors - Do I need to replace the pads as well?

Thanx,

jbrew

Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 AM

Hey , what gives ??? No opinions here?? LOL . Well, I've had some spare time this week to investigate further - Haaaa! , I thought it went way to easy ..After searching around a bit I know I got off easy. It took me 18 minutes to change out the rotors ( Lifted caliper and they leaned towards me and just about came off on there own) I was lucky I guess - I didn't feel like wrenching that day - works been slow and for some reason that tires me more than when we are busy (Oh , that makes sense )

Anyway , I read up on the horror stories that quite a few of you have with rotors freezing up on the hubs. Hell, I live in Michigan and put on allot of salty road miles - It's been 3 1/2 years since I did the rotors and they came off easy then as well - What's up with that ? Ford change the design in some way ? Can't find any info on that one..

Sooo , Long Post -sorry lol ..I cured the Vibration problem it seems . I pulled the Brembo's back off , Pulled those Car-quest Ceramics, took them over to the belt sander - fattened them all out , cleaned the calipers up good , reinstalled everything and it 's like night & day when I brake hard so far (I've only put 80 miles on since doing all that) But that really smoothed things out considerable - Taking a little off the pads and truing them up a bit.. There weren't scared or grooved, they seem to have one or two rolls to them. Those lifetime pads tend to heat things up a bit I gather.

Thanx to all who have posted in the past that had similar issues and solved them with this procedure.

jbrew

Last edited by jbrew; 09-10-2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, similar problem when the brakes were gone, but not with lots of life left. I did have a baaaaadddd squeeling problem, 2 sets of Carquest "gold" pads, the most expensive. After 10 000 km's, they were pigs. Changed to "blue" pads, half as much $$ and love them, same warranty. Good to see you fixed your prob, mines always been noise.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
Well, similar problem when the brakes were gone, but not with lots of life left. I did have a baaaaadddd ; problem, 2 sets of Carquest "gold" pads, the most expensive. After 10 000 km's, they were pigs. Changed to "blue" pads, half as much $$ and love them, same warranty. Good to see you fixed your prob, mines always been noise.

Blue, in the past I have purchased the blue pads as well , I think they had the 2 year warranty but never had to use it, I never had dust or squeals from the blue ones or my first set Lifetimes (these are black and ceramic) I can't remember exactly, think they were in the $80 range for the front only . After a light belt sanding and a little brake cleaner I notice copper particles in the pads. I don't remember if the blues had copper in the mix. When you used golds , were they gold in color? Mine are black so , just curios ( :

They problem I did have with lifetimes that didn't occur with the blue's is that they warped my rotors soon after installation. I haven't put many miles yet, since installing the new rotors(brembo's) and sanding the pads. If I get warpage again, I will go back to the blues (I think they performed better)

Thanx for the reply and info.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-10-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Front brake vibration