2002 F150 Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 Brake Rotors

All, Don't have a chilton yet and was wondering how rotors are removed on from truck. My '02 f150 fx4 rotors seem to be frozen, but wanted to make sure i didn't have to remove the hub/axel nut before these are removed.

Also, any help with ideas on how to free frozen rotors is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They may not be frozen from the factory there maybe like a retaining clip on the bolts. You may not be able to see them at a quick glance since there maybe rust there. These little suckers will hold the rotor in place VERY WELL, and make them appear frozen.
Take a close look around the bolts to the surface of your rotor...

Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no retaining clips on the rotors. They have a lot of surface area contact with the hub and tend to rust together. Heat can help. So can a big pry bay. I used a 5 foot pry bar to get them off my 99 F-150.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck has a "slip on" style rotors - both front and rear. I have seen some trucks that have a retaining clip on one lug that is intended to hold the rotor on during the assembly process. These can simply be cut off if you have one. Then the fun begins. Corrosion between your rotor and hub will make for a fun time removing the rotor. If you do a search here you'll find that the problems and the best removal methods have been pretty well discussed.

As for the rear rotors, remember that there's a small drum brake inside that acts as your Parking Brake. You may need to back off the adjuster before the shoes will let you start banging on the rotor to remove it. You may also want to consider using some anti-sieze compound between your hub and new rotors.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 Brake Rotors