Stopping power for your money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopping power for your money?

I plan on adding a 6" lift to my already 3" body lift. So, I will need some better stopping power. I am thinking of getting drilled and slotted rotors? Can i get those at my local auto parts store or do I have to order them online? What is the best pad to use? Ceramic? Is it true because ceramics are so hard they squeak a lot? Is there anything else I can add for better stopping power?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read my response in your last brake thread.

I'd skip drilled and slotted rotors. They don't have as much effect on stpping as the kind of pad you use and they wear the pads quicker than a solid rotor.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Do ceramic pads squeak?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
asuming the truck pickered is the one in question ceramic pads would not be a good choice the are verry hard and do get glazed easily and yes they are noisy mostly chattering if vehicle did not have ceramic pads from factory which no f150 of that body did from factory plus they will eat your rotors faster i wouls use wagner rotors and wagner thermoquit mx pads

Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by icefisherman
asuming the truck pickered is the one in question ceramic pads would not be a good choice the are verry hard and do get glazed easily and yes they are noisy mostly chattering if vehicle did not have ceramic pads from factory which no f150 of that body did from factory plus they will eat your rotors faster i wouls use wagner rotors and wagner thermoquit mx pads
I put ceramic pads and upgraded solid rotors on my 99 F-150 which now has about 50k miles on the brakes and just put the exact same components on my 03 about 3k miles ago. No problems with either set for noise or performance yet.

Where did you get your info from? Also, less time on frozen lakes and more time in grade school english.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 PM
R1Concepts on ebay sells really nice zinc plated crossdrilled/slotted rotors. You can get all four shipped to you for about $250. EBC greenstuff pads will give you excellent stopping power on top of the R1 rotors.

You can see the green pads in the second shot better. I have since painted the calipers red. Gives it a nice standout look

Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option may be to install a Super Duty vacuum brake booster. I believe that I've read where they offer greater force multiplication over the F-150 booster. My truck won't even lock the front brakes on dry pavement. I've been thinking about doing this on my truck. If you find any useful information, please post it on this thread.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
rotor pros doest offer products for
97-03 f150

Old 10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
fordwitflows,

You may also want to source some stainless steel braided break lines for the stock flex lines which are rubber. The braided lines will not expand and all of the power from the fluid will go to the calipers instead of wasting some of that energy on expanding the stock rubber lines. I know Stoptech sells front lines for F-150's . It would be ideal if you could get all four for the very best performance.

Andrew Parshall

Quick Reply: Stopping power for your money?