tires for sand/mud, more so for sand

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires for sand/mud, more so for sand

i am looking for a good tire to get me through dry sand (sugar sand) and for mud, i would like to get through sand more so because there is tons of that crap down here in Florida, the state is pratically made of it!

i would also like it to fit my 2003 F-150 FX4 supercrew

thank you
-rich

Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Suspended
for sand I suggest the widest tire possible and something with an All Terrain type pattern. Any tire too aggressive will dig in and get you stuck very quickly. Also airing down is key in soft sand to again help with floatation.

BFG all terrains might be a decent halfway point for mud and sand. They require a decent amount of wheelspeed to clear out any thick mucd but seem to be pretty decent in the sand. I couple guys in my club run them on the tow rigs and have had decent luck with them.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Toyo Open Country M/T's

Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 PM
what ever you do please dont get bfg all-terrains!!! i hat them! but i do agree dont get too agressive of a tire for sand but it needs to be wide! but if you want them to look good as well my favorite tire is the mickey thompson baja claw... by fare.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by bud8817
what ever you do please dont get bfg all-terrains!!! i hat them! but i do agree dont get too agressive of a tire for sand but it needs to be wide! but if you want them to look good as well my favorite tire is the mickey thompson baja claw... by fare.
thank you im hearing a lot of good things about the baja claw

and keep those opinions coming, i really appreciate them
-rich

Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Suspended
The baja claw sometimes slip my mind, probably because I dont personally know anyone who runs them, but as mentioned they are a good looking tire that would probably work pretty well

Old 10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I just got back from Pismo, and I must say I love my Toyo's way better than my Nitto's

Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by twstd02
I just got back from Pismo, and I must say I love my Toyo's way better than my Nitto's
i think i saw you out there in front of comp hill!! i was on my quad. but i have to say your truck looks way better in person! but i agree the toyos are sweet tires! still like the baja claws way better no offence....

Last edited by bud8817; 10-16-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got pretty far out in Pismo on 37" Mud Grapplers in 2wd. They acted somewhat like paddle tires, although I'd so much rather have a true paddle tire. If I did that all the time I'd buy gears. I definitely would not have made it to comp hill or anything spectacular as they dug fast but kept me moving most of the time.

Dave's Toyo's didn't fair too well in 2wd lol, but 4wd is another story. I don't do spectacular on the dunes in 4wd but I'm not pushing enough power with 3.73's to launch myself. The toyo's do better on the sand in 4wd.

Mud is another story, sand and mud are 2 very different settings. You really can't excell at both. In a high hp vehicle mud tires do ok in the sand but don't kid yourself otherwise. High hp is needed to excell in either application so gear reduction is a must with large tires (tcase reduction I wouldnt' recommend! too much heat for the BorgW). I'm talkin diff gears. I learned that the hard way and am stuck w/2wd now. AT's pack down the sand and dig very slowly so they do very well in sand. Hummers are fantastic beasts in the dunes due to their AT's and compressor controlled PSI. In some cases not all stock F-150s outdo me on the dunes.

Last edited by Josiah; 10-17-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
i have michellen cross terrain tires right now, do you think that they will fair good in sand, not dunes though, i live in florida and there is none out here

basically its 50/50 on sand and mud and they are like sometimes 20ft appart so i need an all around good tire

you could be in sand and before you know it your in mud

Old 10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by bud8817
i think i saw you out there in front of comp hill!! i was on my quad. but i have to say your truck looks way better in person! but i agree the toyos are sweet tires! still like the baja claws way better no offence....
right on! did you see the guy with the white dodge with the broken exhaust?

Quick Reply: tires for sand/mud, more so for sand