Disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc conversion

i dont know if any of you guys read peterson's 4wheel and off-road, but about a year ago they advertised a cool rear drum brake conversion kit for f150s. the kit replaced the drum brakes with rear disc brakes. i'll have to find what the price and brand was, but i remeber that it was pretty cheap and they said it dramatically increased the truck's stopping ability. Has anyone tested these?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you plan on keeping htat truck for a very long time, have lots of extra money, or tow excessively, its really a waste of money.

That being said, it would be a fun project for a saturday.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greengiant89
i dont know if any of you guys read peterson's 4wheel and off-road, but about a year ago they advertised a cool rear drum brake conversion kit for f150s. the kit replaced the drum brakes with rear disc brakes. i'll have to find what the price and brand was, but i remeber that it was pretty cheap and they said it dramatically increased the truck's stopping ability. Has anyone tested these?
I haven't tested them. However, IIRC, the kit was WAAAY expensive, and the install was more than just a bolt-on. It required some modification of the axle housing, as well as custom components (calipers, rotors, etc).

A much simpler method is to find a disc-brake axle in a salvage yard with the same gear ratio you have currently. Four spring bolts, two parkign brake cables, one brake hose, and a brake bleed later and it'll be in business.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Disc conversion