Nitrogen Air Fill??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akheloce
Dont get me started on dihydrogen monoxide.....

Haha ban it if you want but i like mine ice cold

Old 10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
what will they think of next?

this is what's in my tires right now, a special mixture that took years to perfect.

78% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, and 1.1% of other "secret" gasses.

I'll sell this stuff to anybody who want's it, but it's pretty expensive.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Nitrogen tire fill

Had my tires filled today for free @ Costco, free for Costco members.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Sweet, I had seen a sign for Nitrogen, good to know it's free. They must offer it for a reason, and if it's free, then where's the harm?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 AM
well free go for it but for the rest of us it doesnt benfit u that much over regular air not worth paying for

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
I just picked up my F150 about two weeks ago and they tried to sell me the "nitrogen" filled tires.......A $150 option.

I pretty much laughed in their faces........damn crooks.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Anyone here that will pay for nitrogen,please e-mail for that stretch of ocean front property I have for sale in Utah!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by mwdhand
78% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, and 1.1% of other "secret" gasses.
That's mostly Argon with other "trace gases"....

Most of you apparently weren't chemistry majors...

First off the vehicle manufacturer recommends tire pressures based on cold temperature ratings; in a perfect world our tires would stay cold. Well that's kinda the idea behind nitrogen. Nitrogen is an inert gas which means it has almost zero reaction to temperature. Ideally this maintains tire pressure while driving in almost any conditions though it is especially useful in northern regions where the temperature drops significantly (thus lowering tire pressure) and in southern regions where extreme heat increases tire pressure.

Nitrogen IS a larger molecule than oxygen and will thus seep more slowly through the tire wall. This will NOT stop leaks but mildly prolong them. Because of the larger molecule the ride quality will improve as well from vibration transfer.

As for the dip**** that said "what sits inbetween the wheel and tire after you you mount it... AIR". We smart people refer to a slang term called "bleeding". What do you think is in your brake lines before the fluid... AIR and we somehow manage to get that out. Sorry... I'll continue...

Oxygen (as we all know) is a corrosive gas... hence oxidation. With concern to our oversized and STEEL reinforced walls of our truck tires I would think the biggest concern would be oxidation of your $1000 plus investment.

On the off hand I will admit it's overpriced and a bit of a gimick to bring customers back to your shop but NASA uses nitrogen in their tires and most automotive manufacturers will factory release vehicles inflated with nitrogen by the year 2010 because of all the new valvestem tire pressure monitoring systems being released in all the new vehicles; no car after 2008 won't have those systems because law makers seem to think it's as important as the the seatbelt now.

I work at shop so it's free and I sure as hell use it. I've made the 1200+ mile journey from Orlando to Chicago 3 times in the past 6 months and can first hand declare a difference in ride quality. As far as gas milage your dreaming for more than a few miles per tank. But don't let your empty wallet be the reason you are derogatory... that's like saying your 4.2L is superior to the Lightning SC5.4L because you couldn't afford it and you get mildly better gas milage. BTW... MY 4.2L does happen to be superior to all other trucks including the Lightnings (yeah go ahead and throw some rotten fruit at my bad jokes!).

Old 01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Surfjunkie44
That's mostly Argon with other "trace gases"....

Nitrogen is an inert gas which means it has almost zero reaction to temperature.
Lol, apparently you weren't a chem major either. Technically nitrogen is not an inert gas, and an inert gas is not what you've defined it to be. Noble gases, also known as inert gases, are located on the far right column of the periodic table. They are helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon. Further, they are referred to as inert gases, not because they have no reaction to temperature (everything reacts to temp in one way or another), but because they have virtually no reaction with any other compounds.

Now, if by inert you mean non-corrosive, then ok, nitrogen is 'inert'.

And knowing is half the battle!

-NCSU

Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Surfjunkie44]That's mostly Argon with other "trace gases"....

surfing and bartending, we have a winner

Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I studied English and Biology but I don't mind teaching...

The term "inert" is defined as a state of doing little or nothing; an inability to react; powerless. Chemically "inert gases" include the noble gas family of "elements" on the periodic table. They are inert due to the fact their outer valence is completely filled with electrons; ie: they are not going to bond without the intervention of a catalyst or an increase in temperature or pressure. Nitrogen alone is not inert but when combined with other molecules of nitrogen forms a triple covalent bond known as N2; triple covalent bonds are the strongest known bonds in nature. It's pretty freaking hard to convert N2 into any other compound. N2 compound is "inert" in its "gaseous state" (inert gas as I phrased it) when left alone within the confines of a tire. I'm not putting one single molecule of Nitrogen in the tire. If you're doing it that way then sure it's not inert. N2 is a perfect replacement in tires because we desire a non-corrosive gas within the "steel belted" radials. Sorry I had to define it at your 3rd grade reading level.

NCSU - Don't ever try making an *** of me... That is the most infuriating thing in the world.

As for Beckerjs and his get-along game antics... Hope I never see you in public because I'll back hand you across the room like the bitch you are.

Have a nice day...

Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Surfjunkie44: I'm not trying to make an *** of you, you're doing a great job of that yourself!!! But it's ok, I was right after all wasn't I, you weren't a chem major and it showed!

There's really no need to get all pissy just because you were technically incorrect. I mean, come on, first you say that something is inert because it has zero reaction to temperature, then the very next post you say "They are inert due to the fact their outer valence is completely filled with electrons; ie: they are not going to bond without the intervention of a catalyst or an INCREASE IN TEMPERATURE or pressure." Talk about being at a 3rd grade level!!

So what community college gave you your English degree, or did you not get that far?

-NCSU

Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=NCSU_05_FX4]Surfjunkie44: I'm not trying to make an *** of you, you're doing a great job of that yourself!!! But it's ok, I was right after all wasn't I, you weren't a chem major and it showed!

x2

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Air Fill??