How to replace / swap / change brake caliper ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM
csonka
How to replace / swap / change brake caliper ...

Looking for some good links on how to do this. Pretty much, all I need to know is, once I get it down to the caliper free and hanging by the brake tube, what do I need to do? Can I just slide it off and put the new one on? I am sure I will lose fluid but I am looking for some suggestions. I have a 1995 F150. Thanks all. I will post pictures when I am done so it is archived here.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my signature link & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. Your truck has RABS & probably the later floating caliper design.

The quickest & easiest way to swap a caliper IMO is to:
1) set the front of the truck on jack stands & remove the necessary tire.
2) remove the banjo bolt from the bad caliper & transfer the hose to the new one.
3) pump the brake pedal to push fluid into the new caliper. Do not blow the piston out.
4) hold the new caliper so the banjo bolt is at the top & use a C-clamp or pad spreader to compress the piston & push any air back to the reservoir.
5) remove the bad caliper & install the new one.
6) test the brakes & bleed as necessary.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:48 AM
csonka
Whew, didn't need to replace the caliper. However, I noticed part of the pad , about a 1/2 inch chunk flaked off and this caused more of the rotor to be exposed and rusted. Should I re-surface the rotors or will the new metal pads take care of that for me? I really don't want to take them off as I have auto-hubs and they are a PITA!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a good idea to always have your rotor turned at a auto parts shop before adding new pads allow them to wear evenly this increases brake performance and life

Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Any time there's irregular wear, you should get the rotors resurfaced, or replace them. Many shops now have on-car brake lathes, so if it's not too thin, you won't have to remove the rotor.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
Many shops now have on-car brake lathes, .
rotors are every easily removed there is no need for a on car brake lathe id remove them any ways allow for better quality turning its faster to bring them the rotors (less time at parts store i mean) cost less and give u a chance to better inspect under ur vechial cv joints, ball joints, knuckles, tie rods ect...

Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Ford actually recommends turning rotors on the vehicle now because it produces a truer surface. And for '80-96 trucks, it's MUCH quicker than removing the rotors. Ours mount to the BACK of the hub, so the hub has to be removed from the spindle to get the rotor off. It's a VERY drawn-out process, especially on 4WDs.

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
csonka
Thanks all for the reply. Yeah, removing the rotors just isn't what I like to do on these 4WDs! I'll call around too see who does this. Thanks alot all for the replies.

Edit: How much do you figure on car brake lathe service would be for the front rotors? I am seeing around 70 dollars!

Last edited by csonka; 11-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:33 PM
All you can do is call around. $70 doesn't sound too bad, considering the labor & equipment involved; especially if you compare it to the time you'd spend taking the rotors off.

Quick Reply: How to replace / swap / change brake caliper ...