Brake squeel again

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake squeel again

When I replace my stock front pads at 30K I had issues with brake squeel. Did all the right things because I've been changing pads for over 18 yrs. Couldn't stop the noise until I put on ceramics. Worked great, little dust and lasted 70K+ miles. Just replace them again with ceramics and the brake squeel is back. Usually when they are heated up with medium pressure applied; no noise at light or heavy pressure. Any suggestions before I take them off, clean everything again, apply brake quiet and caliper grease? Love changing brakes but not twice in one month!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
did you turn the rotors?

if not and they are not deeply scored, apply a non-directional finish to the rotors and pads with some 100-200 grit sandpaper, and make sure everyting is squeaky clean when you reinstall it. but if your pads are contaminated with any kind of grease they will squeal until you replace them again, so just keep that in mind. also check for cracks in the pad material, if they are cracked take them back back to pep-girls, that's covered under the defect warranty on aftermarket pads that can also cause a squeal

if your rotors are scored, turn them or buy new ones, and replace the pads again(it doesn't hurt to apply the non-directional finish here either)

Last edited by flareside4life; 11-21-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wash rotors with soap and water

I saw this on the Pat Goss segment of the Motorweek TV show. Pat said when you have rotors or drums resurfaced you must wash them with a soap and water solution to remove the metal chippings left behind. If you don't remove the metal particles they become embedded in the new pads or shoes and cause a squeal. It would be a good idea to do this anytime when replacing pads or shoes. I can tell you it has cut down my squealing problems. Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:37 AM
hes right sometimes that will make all the diff

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 AM
I replaced my brakes this weekend and am having the same problem. The squeak happens only under medium pressure. I thought that it might be just a break-in period and would eventually go away.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Would some of the brake squeal spray help clean them and stop the noise?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Usually I only turn the rotors if needed and have never had a problem on any other vehicle but this one. The rotors look good and no shimmy but I guess I'll go through the whole process again this weekend. I'll turn them and try the sand paper option as well. So remove, clean, stop squeel, caliper grease, turn rotors and clean, sand paper, replace pads again. This sucks but thanks for the responses.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Definitely not a brake expert, but had a '95 Pathfinder that had a bad squeel...and eventually isolated it to the brake pads lifting off the mounting plate they are "glued" on when they got hot...thereby continuing to rub against the rotor even when I was not on the brakes. The easiest way to see if this is the problem (which is how we found it) is to drive it till you hear the squeel and then take off the tire and look at the ends of the pads..you will see gaps right away if they are lifting off. Not sure this is anywhere close to what is causing your problem, but figured I would throw it out there. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I went and power washed the brakes the other day, and it helped. There is still some squeal, but not near as loud or as often.

Quick Reply: Brake squeel again