Need held ROTOR!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need held ROTOR!!

Well, after only 18k, i am in dying need of replacing my Rotors and brake pads. my rotors are shaking so bad on the highway, its insane! well i am about to go buy a whole new set of rotors for my 2005 F-150 lariat 2wd 5.4

i noticed the rotors come with bearings and hubs, how hard is it to replace the rotors and brake pads on my F-150? is it just removing the lug nuts and removing some bolts from behind the caliper and i am good to go? or is it more of a problem? any help will be great.

by the way, this is terrible for the brakes to go out at 18k as bad as they are, Ford needs to jump on the ball, they blamed the wear and tear on the rotors saying its the way i am driving! makes no sense to me.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
that sounds really bad, I drove really hard to 60K miles on the factory pads.

Have you jacked up the corner and grabbed ahold of a wheel and tried to rock it back and forth, to see if it is the bearings that are causing the shimmy, or maybe its out of balance tires.

I guess at this point your rotors are history, but next time you notice it attend to the problem promptly like the next day or weekend.

I just replaced my front brake rotors n pads a few months ago, and noticed a bad shimmey one day, didnt think much about it and blew out a front tire the next day, then a month a later I had the other side develope a bubble-for seperation. The shaking was so bad I could hardly keep it on the road at 55mph, so the first thing I did was check my wheel bearings they loose but not that loose, I drive 75-85mph and get 1.5 years out of tires.

I have the hub/rotor assembly as one piece and was told it was a bear compared to 2 piece designs. basically for it was remove the wheel, brake caliper and bracket, followed by the bearings and beat the rotor off the truck, but it ended falling off the truck instead.

Last edited by FordsRock98; 11-29-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 AM
yea i am pissed by the fact that Ford declined to fix anything, especially considering its only at 18k miles. the truck drives smooth all untill i hit the brakes, once i do, its all over the place,. so that tells me its just the rotors.

to take the bearings off, do i need a pully of any sort? or is it all easy to come off? thats basicly how my rotors are, they have hub rotor and bearing. i was thinking they need to be pulled off in some sort of way, but that doesnt sound too bad.

but for a 2005 F-150 for its rotors to go bad at JUST 18k miles is TERRIBLE!!! when i took it to the ford dealership, they said i passed the 14k mark for the warranty to basicly cover it. 14 thousand miles.....tahst all they cover for brakes???? something as important as the brakes should be covered for the full 36000 mark.

plus these rotors are not cheap by any means, 100+ each. i guess you spend 30k on a truck you should expect your brakes to go bad within 20k.<<<<< HUGE sarcastic icon >>>>>>>

Old 11-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Nox
yea i am pissed by the fact that Ford declined to fix anything, especially considering its only at 18k miles. the truck drives smooth all untill i hit the brakes, once i do, its all over the place,. so that tells me its just the rotors.

to take the bearings off, do i need a pully of any sort? or is it all easy to come off? thats basicly how my rotors are, they have hub rotor and bearing. i was thinking they need to be pulled off in some sort of way, but that doesnt sound too bad.

but for a 2005 F-150 for its rotors to go bad at JUST 18k miles is TERRIBLE!!! when i took it to the ford dealership, they said i passed the 14k mark for the warranty to basicly cover it. 14 thousand miles.....tahst all they cover for brakes???? something as important as the brakes should be covered for the full 36000 mark.

plus these rotors are not cheap by any means, 100+ each. i guess you spend 30k on a truck you should expect your brakes to go bad within 20k.<<<<< HUGE sarcastic icon >>>>>>>

14000 miles is WAAAY longer than brakes used to be covered. Brakes are generally considered a wearable item and not covered by the factory warranty. Ford has gone to a softer pad compound that, under certain conditions, wears prematurely compared to most other designs. That's part of the reason the extended the 14k warranty on them. The replacement parts from the TSB are a different pad material that is designed to last longer. There are plenty of aftermarket pads that will last longer as well.

For the record, 18,000 miles really isn't a lot for OEM brakes anymore. They perform better, but don't last as long. The harder they work, the shorter they last. It's the nature of friction brakes.

-Joe

Old 11-30-2006, 01:03 PM

I plan on upgrading my rotors from these guys! Along with some Hawk HPS pads, I'll be set!

http://www.r1concepts.com/Brake%20Ro...0-%20Van/F150/

Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
That is such a crock Ford won't replace the rotors and pads after 18K. I know when I had a Chevy, my rotors warped at 26K and they replaced the rotors and pads.
Unfortunately, that was the least of my problems with my Chevy. Thats why I made the switch to Ford.

My front brakes pads have been replaced twice in the past two years at my cost of course. I bought some cheap rotors and they warped of course. I guess when it comes to rotors, you get what you pay for.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by 00Ford4X4
I know when I had a Chevy, my rotors warped at 26K and they replaced the rotors and pads.
Your lucky....Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton trucks from 1988-1998 had major issues and if you had the 10" rear brakes (light duty) you were lucky to get 8000 miles on any set of brakes.....only 8000 that's right. Also GM in it's infinite wisdom also did not have front rotors that had enough metal to be tuned even once. The problem was in the proportioning and needed and ABS and Master cylinder change but GM did not address the problem because it would be too expensive and brakes are consumables (drivers responsibility.)

Newer than '98 and they finally fixed the problem and are once again standing behind their product.

Quick Reply: Need held ROTOR!!