2004 FX4 - Vibration at take off (turning)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, I'm scheduling an appointment, I'll let you know on the thread what was the results!!!
Appreciate the help, you guys may have saved me about 2000$ for future Rear end work!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
While we are talking about that, is the Ranger's FX4 Rear Ends the same setup, I heard from a friend that Torsen is the maker for those Rangers.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that the FX-4 Level II is the one that comes with the Torsen rear diff. IIRC, the Level II package gives you the Torsen rear end and the 31-tooth splines on the rear axle shafts (28 is standard IIRC).

Old 01-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm back from the dealer and I don't know if he was honnest or just wanted to get out of a Rear end job, but he told me my case was not a issue...He's been in some trucks that would really jump and chirp more than mine...I have to say mine is'nt bad, it wont react everytime I acc during a sharp turn. I have acc to the max (before wheel spin) and now I'm wondering if it was the wheel spin that was doing that...I run BFG's All-T KO, 285...Wich he said could be the probleme...Its a too aggresive tire...I was not conviced by that considering Ford put some on stock Rangers....
I'm not sure if i'm looking at this too hard, maybe I'm over reacting...I was tinking about it and if there is the slightess wheel spin, it should engage the limited slip mecanism right? Maybe there was a minor spin and It would engage...If so, for me, that means the Rear end is doing its thing and doing it right....
Help me out guys, should I continu to fight this or am I over reacting...
(1 1/2 month left on waranty)

Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 PM
ok heres what i would do... go back and say something is wrong or try a differant dealer.... lets make sure the problem you descibed is the same mine was a month ago. i have a 2000 but limited slip 3.55 and 25/75-16s it started to shutter when i took off from a stop turning and slightly if i went around a corner at like 2-7mph and turning and acc out of it. took it in and they sed clutch packs worn out. (i knew someone at the dealer a mechanic so it was cheap) but yes that is the cause r problem... well i wont say 100% i would say 95% according to ppl on here when i asked they said it was common for them to go out around 80k miles on our trucks. i was never hard on it or anything just normal wear. take it back and say try again or try a differant place is my suggestion.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by racerf150-2
i have a 2000 but limited slip 3.55 and 25/75-16s it started to shutter when i took off from a stop turning and slightly if i went around a corner at like 2-7mph and turning and acc out of it. took it in and they sed clutch packs worn out. (i knew someone at the dealer a mechanic so it was cheap) but yes that is the cause r problem... well i wont say 100% i would say 95% according to ppl on here when i asked they said it was common for them to go out around 80k miles on our trucks. i was never hard on it or anything just normal wear.
Mine did the same thing , that shudder from stop , just a little bit when turning. 2-7mph , I thought it was the trans - it ended up being the torque converter in my case.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah my Fx4 2004 trip to delaership few times.

First rear window leak- fixed

straight,left,right shudder from stop- replaced clutch pack for limited slip

shudder ONLY straight, first- grease slip yoke but it lasted 2 weeks then 2nd trip they replaced WHOLE driveshaft.

Since almost 5,000 milages later- no problem

Be sure to ask about replace driveshaft as per TSB.

YOMAN!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:22 PM
i had the chatter during turn they greased the slip yoke and it went away

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 - Vibration at take off (turning)