Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at Hawk performance pads. Get them at Pep Boys.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the carquest blue pads hold up better than the dusty stock pads or do they simply emit less brake dust??

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BABA4488
Do the carquest blue pads hold up better than the dusty stock pads or do they simply emit less brake dust??
Anything that has less dust will be lasting longer. I have 20,000 miles on my Wagner Thermo Quiets, and still have more pad than the stockers I removed with 11,000 miles.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Good point I didnt even think of that. Are u running new pads just up front or all around? How long did it take you to instal them?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BABA4488
Good point I didnt even think of that. Are u running new pads just up front or all around? How long did it take you to instal them?
I put the pads on the front strictly because of the dust about a year ago. I replaced the rears a couple of months ago because they were worn and needed it. First time that I have ever seen rear pads wear out that quickly. I had a Silverado for 3 years , 75,000 miles and the pads on the front and rear were only about half gone. It is just the sorry pads that Ford is using. As to time, the most time is spent jacking it up and removing the wheels. The brake pads themselves are about 10 minutes per wheel. Very simple to do.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by 97f150f/s
i had swapped out my pads for Morse ceramics on my 98 and wish i never did. Truck felt great the first couple hundred miles, but now it squeels like crazy, grinds and rims are black in a week. I mean BLACK!! I had these same pads on my 97 and never had a problem.

im goign to try hawk ceramics soon.
Just a heads up to you, I am running Hawks ceramic brakepads all around & my front wheels aren't as black as they were before, but they still get very filthy. So I will soon buy the carquest metallic pads.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I put the pads on the front strictly because of the dust about a year ago. I replaced the rears a couple of months ago because they were worn and needed it. First time that I have ever seen rear pads wear out that quickly. I had a Silverado for 3 years , 75,000 miles and the pads on the front and rear were only about half gone. It is just the sorry pads that Ford is using. As to time, the most time is spent jacking it up and removing the wheels. The brake pads themselves are about 10 minutes per wheel. Very simple to do.
Yea id imagine most of it is jackin it up etc. As Understsand there are bolts with ruber boots/covers on them thst i need undo to get the caliperoff then use a scre driver to work it off... ifound a good site that has pics of a guy doin it on a 98 it should be a good reference. Anyway i hope to get around to it cuz the brake dust is just outrageous...should make for a good weekend prodj. I find that GMC.Chevys hardly emit any brake dust and they last a lot longer or maybbe its just b.c our rigs are soo heavy

Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I was just checking the brakes yesterday. Along with all the typical road salt etc. from winter, very very little dust at all. I haven't cleaned my rims insides since the end of last summer or round about. I put these pads on the front 14 months ago, still look new. The rears never did give much dust, but I noticed they are about half gone. I swear up and down over these blue pads, they last long, or normal life I guess, create virtually no dust, are fairly cheap, fully warrantied and the list goes on. I myself had no problems with stock pads, ya, a little on the dusty side by comparison to the blue ones, but life etc. was great.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I was surprised at how rapidly the factory rear pads wore out, considering that the fronts do most of the stopping and the rears never collected much brake dust.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
It seems and I don't know why that the new style 04 and up brake pads did create alot of dust and wear out fast. Mine were about as normal as can be. I have noticed this on Escapes reeeeeeeaaalllyy bad, huge dust problems.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust