Bad Vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Vibrations?

I recently purchased a new F-150 Super Crew 4X4. It's a 2006 I got it right at the beginning of the year. I'd test drove several before buying this one. I ended up making the deal on-line and drove over late on a Sunday to pick it up. Never test drove this actual truck. Boy am I regretting that now. Driving it home that first night I felt a fairly serious vibration, what could best be called a shudder. It's really noticeable starting at 55mph, less so when accelerating. I live roughly 60 miles from the nearest dealer. So the next day I took it to my local tire store and had them balance the tires (at my cost $50.) They told me "wow, these were really out of balance." Driving home from there it was a lot better but still had a shudder. I went ahead and drove it back to the dealer a couple weeks later. The CD player doesn't work correctly and the lettering was falling off one of the emblems. They changed out the CD player, the emblem and said they found one of the tires was defective. Driving home, again, it starts to vibrate and the CD player kicks out about half the discs I put in it. So I called the dealer, no problem bring it back and we'll get it fixed. So a couple weeks later I make the hour and half trek. This time I insisted a mechanic drive with me so I could show them what I talking about. Keep in mind I have yet to have ANYBODY ride in this truck and not notice the shudder/vibration. I gave a neighbor a ride to work one day, never said anything to him about this issue, after riding for about 10 mins. he said "how come your truck shakes that like?" So I'm driving with this dealership mechanic, he said "those are just bumps in the road." Little farther down the road and more shaking; he notes "man, it sure is windy today." I felt a sudden urge to tell him "Gee Mr. Me-kan-eek I taint never droved me no truck'm befour. Them there is'm bumps and wind. Dang, ya dun solveded all my problems." I didn't, though might should have. Went back and talked to the service manager and told him that guy's full of it, I want this issue resolved. I give up on the CD, I'll just buy an after market unit. But the vibration I want fixed. So they kept the truck for three days (they gave me a loaner) and said we can't find anything wrong.

So my question, if anyone's still reading, is anyone else out there having similar issues? I went on to the audio thread and note others are having issues with the six disc player. But is anyone else have ride problems? If so what type of wheels and what make, size and model of tire? I'm running a basic looking five spoke chrome rim and General Ameritrac P255/70R17's.

On side note: I ended up in Cancun Mexico about three weeks after buying this truck. I'm walking down the sidewalk and a guy pulls into a parking space right in front of me. He's driving a truck that, other then color, looks a lot like mine. In Mexico I guess these trucks are called "Lobos." I glanced at it and noticed the lettering on the "Lobos" emblem was falling off, passenger side same as mine. What are the odds?

Last edited by Pacridge; 03-07-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same tires on my truck. I bought the truck new with 2 bad tires, 1 bad wheel and all my emblems peeling. Have them check the whees, they may not be true. Ask to drive another truck to see if it shakes. Dont' know what to tell you about the CD player. I'd make them fix it, and wouldn't leave until they did.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Cool

i have not had this happen but, just a thought. i know a guy who trues tires.(im not sure if this is the proper term) he has a machine that spins the tire and slices off the imperfections ever so slightly, some of my friends have taken their cars to him after i met him and told me they had never had their car drive so smoothly. now from what i remember him telling me this is real rare and most people dont have this machine. obviously your not gonna drive to san antonio and get some dude in a little shop on the south side to cut up your tires, i wouldnt let him touch mine, but i guess my point is that the tires might be your problem.

i think this is called siping, and i come to find out its fairly common. im and idiot. my bad.

Last edited by BRETT LIV; 03-08-2007 at 02:43 AM. Reason: im an idiot
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by ian51279
I have the same tires on my truck. I bought the truck new with 2 bad tires, 1 bad wheel and all my emblems peeling. Have them check the whees, they may not be true. Ask to drive another truck to see if it shakes. Dont' know what to tell you about the CD player. I'd make them fix it, and wouldn't leave until they did.

So, you had two bad tires and one bad wheel? Do you have the five spoke OEM rims? Did the dealership tell you they were bad? The dealer I'm dealing with has told me they found one bad tire and replaced it. Now they're saying "vibration, what vibration?"

As far as the CD unit goes, I'd make them change it out again if I thought it would do any good. They changed it out once and the new unit does the same thing. I'm just fed up with it . 27K for a new truck and it can't even play a simple CD. Spent $100 on a system and it (as well as every other system I own) plays the same disc just fine.

Crazy.

Last edited by Pacridge; 03-08-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Just out of curosity, how many weights do they have on your rims. I had a similar issue. I bought a 2004 and it drove great. About a year ago I went into the dealership to have tires balanced and rotated. The mechanic scratched up two of the wheels really bad when removing the weights. Thus, they bought me two new wheels after I complained. Ever since I've had the two new wheels the drive has not been the same. It does shake a little around 55 - 60 and the tires are wearing funny. I noticed the two new wheels have alot more lead weights installed than the original wheels. I'm going with aftermarket wheels very soon, or I would be complaining to the dealership. As far as the decals wearing off, I always assumed it was from individuals driving through high pressure car washes that caused it. Guess that's not the case!!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacridge
So, you had two bad tires and one bad wheel? Do you have the five spoke OEM rims? Did the dealership tell you they were bad? The dealer I'm dealing with has told me they found one bad tire and replaced it. Now they're saying "vibration, what vibration?"

As far as the CD unit goes, I'd make them change it out again if I thought it would do any good. They changed it out once and the new unit does the same thing. I'm just fed up with it . 27K for a new truck and it can't even play a simple CD. Spent $100 on a system and it (as well as every other system I own) plays the same disc just fine.

Crazy.
Yes, I have the chrome clad 17" wheels. I had a little steering nibble at highway speeds, and a small vibration in the whole truck. They replaced them no problem.

Quick Reply: Bad Vibrations?