Removing rear rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rear rotors!

I am in the middle of replacing my brakes and getting the rotors turned. I cannot get the dang rear rotors to come off. I have an 02 4x4 F150 with disc all around. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Loosen up the E-brake shoes on the back side of the rotor.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM
i have an 03 with rear disc, on mine i had a little dust cap on the backing plate i could remove to dial back the adjuster. after that i still had to do quite a bit of prying and pulling but keep at it and it will eventually come off. my brother has an 01 and it doesn't have the dust cap. hope yours does.

Alex

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do a little searching, you'll find that removing either the front or rear rotors on our trucks can be a bear. Yes, the problems in back can be caused by the parking brake shoes, but more often than not, the problem is the rotor hat corroding itself to the hub since neither part has any type of corrosion resistant coating. I just did the rear brakes on my '05 (with 51,000 miles on it) and they were pretty well welded on.

So how do you get them off? After backing off the adjuster for the parking brake, soak the center hub and around the base of the studs for your lug nuts and have a beer. Next, get a big hammer and start wailing. As strange as it may seem, hit the outside surface of the rotor near the outer edge. Yes, I know this sort of sounds like you're hammering it on, but I've seen time after time where this actually works better that hitting it from the back side. Mine took a pretty decent beating, then eventually came off. There's high temperature Never Sieze in there now for the next brake job. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Removing rear rotors!