Tires for leveled 04 FX4 SCREW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tires for leveled 04 FX4 SCREW?

First Post! I am in Iraq but will return in May and I am driving straight to MT’s shop to get the custom tune.

However, I have a bit of a conflict, although I can not wait to get the better performance from the custom tune and the AF One air intake, (already have a Gibson catback) I also plan to level the truck and put on a bit larger tires.

So, I am just looking to give the truck a balanced look since it will be leveled but still maintain the awesome smooth stable ride.

Also I plan to continue using the stock aluminum 18” wheels that came with the truck.

The tire that is on there now is a BF Goodrich Rugged Trail, 275/65 R18

So here is my question, with the truck leveled what would be a good choice tire brand and size tire for the 18” wheel? Not sure what the wheel width is.

I imagine the larger tires will negate some of the better get up and go I anticipate from the custom tune. Not looking to change gears

I only off road once or twice a year when I take it on the beach

Thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
RK, on the stock wheels you can go with a 285x65x18 which is close to 33" or a 305x65x18 close to 34" BFG makes these in an All Terrain. These will clear if your truck is leveled. If you have 3.73 gears the truck will still pull hard. I know you can't wait to get back from Iraq and play around with your truck. Thank's for the job over there! I was in the service during the Vietnam era and had to leave my '66 GTO at home. Have a safe trip home!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Well that settles it then, and I thought this might be difficult.

My buddy has a 250 that he rasied and it looks really good and balanced if you will. Often when we are out and about we see trucks lifted and the whole setup just looks too much or too little one way or another.

He will tell me exactly what would be a good tire fit, but now I can pretend that I figured it out on my own, thanks!

I am happy to stay with BFG, the ride so far has been perfect

My best friend lives in NO (Harvey), sends me jokes daily.

Over here comedy is king, when the young guys are stressing, I just tell them
"Hey cherish the good times, you never know when you might get a foot blown off"
Sounds serious but they always laugh.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the 305/65-18 BFG AT KO's personally.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Cool

I am looking at installing the ECD aluminum billet powder coated 2.5 leveling kit. Looking for easy install, strength and no squeaking

The ECD site says with this kit I can easily run 33", so I am not sure if I can do the 305 or not, I will if I can.

I need to see what the width is on my stock 18" wheel, I guess
its the wheel that comes stock on the FX4

The Goodrich web site says the 305/65 will fit 8.5-11 width wheel.

Only thing, no matter how well I get the data together its not going to get me out of here any qucker, but its nice to get clue.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
RK, your stock wheels are 7 1/2" wide, a few member's have mounted 305's on these stock wheels with no problem's as long as you have the leveling kit. I see that you have a friend in Harvey which is only about 5 miles from where I live. Glad to have you as a member of the site! Click on the little camera to view my gallery and see how a leveled truck will look. Any technical question's ask "Wandell" He's the "Dr. Phil" of tires and wheel's!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
I'd go with the 305/65-18 BFG AT KO's personally.
x 2.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
rkneal,
First, thanks for your service overseas!

As for the tires, I'd second the 305/65 R18 suggestion. That tire seems like an ideal size for leveled F150's, regardless of wheel selection.

Another thing to consider is getting an add-a-leaf kit for the rear. Once you get the leveling kit on, you may notice a "nose up" look with the body lines and wheel wells not looking quite right. I did with mine and there are many here who did the same. The AAL kit won't affect your stock ride and will keep your headlights from shining into the trees if you carry any sort of payload at all.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Question

Let me make sure I am tracking, I do not know jack about tires so bare with me.

A 285 and/or the 305 will fit my 7.5” wheel?

The Goodrich website says the 285/65/18 will fit 8-10” wheel and the 305/65/18 will fit a 8.5-11” wheel

So even though my wheels are .5 to 1” smaller then what Good rich calls for it is really of no concern? Will not effect speed rating or anything?

I sure hope not

Just want to be certain because I will set a service date before I leave here and I will have to pay first. I will have the base do it, they have great prices on tires

Thanks

Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
They'll both fit. The tire makers recommend certain wheel widths for certain tire widths, and it's true that you don't want too narrow of a wheel inside a fat tire, but you're within reasonable limits here.

If the wheel is too narrow, the tire can "crown" (bulging middle) and cause uneven wear.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Right. They will work with your OEM wheels even thought they are slightly narrower than recommended. A member at FTW recently replaced his BFG AT KO's. He ran 315/70-17's (35x12.50) on his 17x7.5 inch OEM wheels for 60,000 miles with no problems.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I came across a thread where a guy was looking for a pic of a truck with BFG 285/65/18 tires.

Of course somebody had one but they said they took off their 2' leveling kit because of ball joint angle concerns.

How much of a concern is this?

In my spare time I like to ride my Harley not work on my truck.

My original tires need to be replaced soon, and I figure a little bigger would look good especially if I leveled it, but I certainly do not want to speed up wearing out the ball joints.

Not sure what to think at this piont, truck is 04 only 28K on it.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
The ball joints are a high wear item on the new F-150's. Some members here have had no problems after running leveling kits for thousands of miles and some members with completely stock trucks have had to replace them early.

Quick Reply: Tires for leveled 04 FX4 SCREW?