$882 for what?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry $882 for what?!

Hey guys, seeking your opinions and advice.
99 F-150 X-cab 4x4.

I notice brake fluid leaking from the drivers side rear brake line (the metal one from the wheel cylinder to the junction box on the rear axle). The leak is occuring at the junction box. When the brakes are engaged the fluid shoots from the line at the box.

I go to the dealer for a replacement line. No go. Parts guy says Ford has gone to all disk brakes, they don't have these lines. He sends me to Napa, says that's where they get 'em.

Napa sells the lines, but not the correct diameter, they also don't bend the lines.
I now realize that the compression fittings on both ends are different sizes, that is, the threaded screw on the fitting at the wheel cylinder is larger diameter than the threaded end going to the junction box. All I find are brake lines with the same diameter.

I take it back to the dealer.

They call with an estimate of $892

They claim they have to replace the wheel cyliners and the line.

Final bill is 882, with $256 in parts and the rest in labor, which is about $630.

9 hours labor?

This is not right.

I paid it, but am wondering if I could have some recourse with Ford for a partial rebate?

I KNOW I've been ripped. The funny thing is I've taken it to this dealer 3x before and always been very satisfied.

Thanks all.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
9 hours to lay a whole new brake lines for the whole truck doesnt seem unreasonable, what else did they do?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
napa should have all that stuff. its 3/16 line. all you need is the adapter pieces. they sell fittings that step up or down that thread on the 3/16 fittings.bending the line is no problem. just dony make any sharp bends and make sure it secured and clipped in well.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 04-16-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems steep for some line and wheel cylinders. Seek-out a good local mechanic (NO Dealer) and start forming a relationship there.

I paid it, but am wondering if I could have some recourse with Ford for a partial rebate?
Nope. It's well out of warranty, and this is normal wear and tear stuff.

Quick Reply: $882 for what?!