04 Heritage, Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Heritage, Brake question

I have an 04 F150 Heritage and it's in need of a brake job. I check the 11th character of the VIN number (which I have been told is the 'brake' character) and it is 'C'. Yet, no where do I see any brake equipment designed for the 'C' brake character. All websites only point to 'B', 'K' or 'N' in position 11 of the VIN. What is the 'C' and what should I use to find the correct pads? Below the VIN on the door are three letters: BRK and below that it says 'B'. Can I assume I should look for VIN 'B' brakes and not 'C'? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Keep it simple, go to a parts store, they might even have a set on hand same day. All they have to know is year, make, 4wd or 2wd and then the trick question, ceramic or semi-metallic. Go with semi-metallic. All this ordering online b/s is NFG, wasted time. Cool for aftermarket stuff though.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'B' is for a 4x2. Do you have a 4X2 or a 4X4? I can't find anything on 'C'.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Torkum, I have a 4x4. I thought 'B' was for 4x2 like you suggested. I have no idea what my 'C' means either.

It doesn't matter whether I go to a parts store or order online (case in point, the experience I was referring to in my original post took place AT a carquest store) I still need to know the correct pads! Hence, the 'brake' character in the VIN. I want to avoid calling Ford of course, but I may not be able to.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
It really shouldn't be that hard for them to look up your pads for you. I just looked them up for you and all I needed to know is that it was a 2004 F-150 Heritage XLT Supercab 4x4 with or with out 7700lbs package. That is the ONLY info needed to look up the pads!!

So if it is the above truck, without the 7700 package, then the pads that you need are the same as mine.

Which, by the way, if you want the Carquest "blues" are:
FRI BMD679 for the front
FRI BMD711 for the rear

The only time I ever need a digit from the vin is when I am getting something engine related (the 8th digit from the left)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks gonecampin. I have checked three different "brick & mortar" stores (carquest, advance, autozone) and the internet, every time I tell them the same thing you told them about make & model, etc. and I still get asked "11th VIN character please?" The response is always the same "uhh... I don't see no 'C' here"

Sooo... enough ranting. My truck is what you stated, WITHOUT the 7700 GVW, thus I can assume my pads are the same as yours, which are:

FRI BMD679 for the front
FRI BMD711 for the rear

Which is exactly what I am going to buy. I never expected it to be this difficult. Every time I have ordered pads for any other vehicle of mine it was never this hard! Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
gonecampin, I might as well ask now:

What rotors do you use? (part numbers if you have them)

I assume that you like your current set up...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by nuclearfurnace
gonecampin, I might as well ask now:

What rotors do you use? (part numbers if you have them)

I assume that you like your current set up...
I do like my current set-up. I have NAPA front rotors (part #86630) and still run the stock rear rotors. I got the front rotors after I warped the old ones with ceramic pads. I've never paid that much for pads before (because I get incredible pricing from NAPA) but I am VERY impressed with the blue and will buy them again when my wife's car needs pads.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Carquest/Raybestos

Last question:

Are the Carquest BMD679 & BMD711 pads the same as the Raybestos PGD679M & PGD711M pads? I read here that the Carquest pads are made by Raybestos.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by nuclearfurnace
Last question:

Are the Carquest BMD679 & BMD711 pads the same as the Raybestos PGD679M & PGD711M pads? I read here that the Carquest pads are made by Raybestos.
I cannot say for sure that they are the same, because I do not know. BUT I do know that the Carquest blues ARE made by Raybestos. So, one might assume that they are the same. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Quick Reply: 04 Heritage, Brake question