Brake rattle after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake rattle after brake job

Ok last weekend my buddy and I switched out all the rotors and pads on my 2001 screw. They were fine for a day or so, now I get this horrible rattle sound over every bump from the front drivers wheel. When I apply the brakes the sound stops so I’m assuming it’s the pads or calipers bouncing around, something sounds very loose, also when ever I do press the brake I hear a slight clunk, anyone have suggestions on how to fix it or what it might be? The pads I used were some generics from Murrays and they called for these small spacer pads to be put in which I did do but the pads I removed had two on each and not one, if that makes any difference. Thanks a ton or half/ton depending on what you drive.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just double check caliper bolts. maybye your dust shields are loose. they rust out around where they bolt up and start making a racket

Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you check the antirattle clips? Sometimes they wear down and break off.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
My calipers are doing the same thing. The guy i bought the truck from a few weeks ago said he put new pads on. I saw him today and asked him about the clips and he said it didn't have any. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. It drives me crazy and sounds like crap. And I am assuming the clips go behind the pad, but I don't know if it will keep the whole caliper from moving like it does. Let me know what you find out.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by mconway
My calipers are doing the same thing. The guy i bought the truck from a few weeks ago said he put new pads on. I saw him today and asked him about the clips and he said it didn't have any. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. It drives me crazy and sounds like crap. And I am assuming the clips go behind the pad, but I don't know if it will keep the whole caliper from moving like it does. Let me know what you find out.
Not all pads use clips. My EBCs don't.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
I also recently replaced rotors and pads and now have a slight klunk when brake is applied. I believe it's due to the new rotor holes being 14M vs. 12M bolts (97 F150 4x4). The dealer's computer specifically states this rotor (14M holes) is for both size bolts. But, in my opinion this is not a good thing. These rotors will continue to "bang" against the bolts until they shear off, and/or the hole just gets bigger and the klunk louder.

Does anyone know if 12M hole rotors are available anywhere?

Quick Reply: Brake rattle after brake job