2004 F150 shake between 50 - 60 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
you need to arm yourself with the TSB's regarding these issues. Whoever is telling you they don't have a problem with these trucks is flat out lying to you.

Go read this thread and you will be well informed. https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=160789
That article is mostly about a 40-50 mph vibration. Once in a while someone chimes in with a steering wheel vibration at 60-70 mph which is different. I would really like to know what causes that steering wheel nibble problem. It’s those long drives were it really becomes annoying.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant54
I bought my truck from Covington Ford just east of Atlanta. It was a factory buy back due to a reported slight vibration between 40-50. The first owner had taken it in like 5 times for the problem. Ford did everything under the sun to find and solve the problem. I will have to find the report that came with the truck, but before I drove to Covington to purchase the truck, I wanted to be assured there was no shaking at any speed. They assured me that nobody can duplicate it and faxed me the report. Ford did note a vibration and did different things to fix it, and on like the 4th time the truck was brought back they swaped and balanced the drive shaft and fixed the 40-50mph vibration. Then the guy brought it in complaining of a rough idle and obviously demanded a refund or whatever and Ford bought it back. A "Factory Buy Back" then goes back to the factory for a full assembly line inspection and either passes for resale or put down. My truck was good as new with 9k miles and released back to the original dealership to re-sell it, and if you run across a "factory buy back", you get a deal. Oh, and before Covington sent it through factory inspection they re-programed the computer for the "rough idle" that is how a 5.4 mod motor idles when the A/C isn't on.

So...from what you gather from the report is that they obviously have a drive shaft issue. You can balance that yourself with a hose clamp. That's how you balance after-market aluminum driveshafts. Just turn it, the hose clamp, little buy little til it's balanced.

How do you know where to put the Clamp? Has anyone seen an aftermarket driveshaft for the F150?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by SCREWedUPnUTAH
How do you know where to put the Clamp? Has anyone seen an aftermarket driveshaft for the F150?
The aluminum aftermarket that I balanced was on a Mustang and the technique worked great. You can do it with your stock driveshaft unless you are wanting to get the aluminum anyway. The Ford dealership replaced mine with factory replacement of coarse and I honestly don't know how they balanced it but it worked. I really haven't even checked it out thoroughly to see, but I ride smooth as a Caddy at any speed. When we balanced my Stang's, we put the hose clamp back near the rear yolk if I remember correctly. Go to this mustang forums site. There is a wealth of knowledge there and great bros will help you out. Do some searches first to see if you can come up with anything.

http://www.corral.net/forums/

It might not be a bad idea to go ahead and start by replacing the one you have now anyway. Perfect excuse to get an aluminum That's how I slide half my upgrades by the wifey

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Ok so here is what i am being told it most likely is. They are saying that some of the trucks ford purchased git a bad batch of ring and pinion gears. But ford will not cover the repair even with a warrenty. But they are not %100 that would be the fix. Repairs is about. $650

Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by SCREWedUPnUTAH
Ok so here is what i am being told it most likely is. They are saying that some of the trucks ford purchased git a bad batch of ring and pinion gears. But ford will not cover the repair even with a warrenty. But they are not %100 that would be the fix. Repairs is about. $650
Who is saying this,,,Ford?? And if you're in warrantee, it is covered. Ring and pinion gears are not "wear" items therefore they are covered by warrantee. Second, I have never heard of a ring & pinion ever doing that as a problem. They whine. It would be a problem at any speed if your gears were producing the vibration I think. I paid over $900 for my gear swap parts and labor. I think the performance shop that did the swap logged a few extra hours labor though. They said "It ain't like an 8.8 swap." when I said my stang gear swaps only take an hour. Also the ring & pinion itself was over $400 where you get an 8.8 for $169. So the $650 is really a good deal.

I didn't swap my gear for that problem though. The problem was solved before I even bought my truck. I swaped it later brcause the stock gear was way too tall for my liking. I really don't believe that is the problem. I've just never heard of that, but it could be. If they think it's that and you're still covered, it shouldn't cost you a dime. They should swap it. Then if it's still there they need to go on forward up the drivetrain. Next stop, the driveshaft swap & balance it. I bet you wouldn't reproduce the problem then. That's what fixed mine.

I honestly thought that the guy with my truck was making up the "vibration" issue because he didn't want the new truck payment ya know. Because he found reasons to take my truck back after the vibration until Ford bought it back, but this thread proves it. Plus the report even states the vibration could not be reproduced after the driveshaft swap and balance. At least you know that it is in the drivetrain and thankfully they are close if not correct. If it was coming out of my pocket, I would balance the driveshaft frist unless you want a better gear ratio. Now you have a perfecxt excuse for a gear swap

Either way, I feel for you bro. I hate when my ride isn't running/driving perfect. Like I said though. It will be fixed. It just may cost a few bucks you didn't want to throw that way. But, if you're in warrantee, they have to fix this issue period.

Best of luck brother,
Grant

Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
When I got my tires and rims a couple weeks ago, I started to have significant vibration coming from the rear end. I just got back from the shop having the tires re-balanced. The truck drives great now! I am so pleased that it was a balance issue, cuz after reading this thread, I was worried that I was in for some major repairs. The tech said that it took 8 oz of weight to balance 2 of my 4 tires, and if this balance job did not fix it, then he would have to swap the tires for better (more balanced) ones. I am happy now, and as long as the tires can be balanced I will keep these. Try having the tires rebalanced first before you have anything else looked at. For those of you still having issues, I hope that they are resolved soon. I agree, I HATE it when theres something wrong with my truck!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I have an '05 ext. cab longbed w/ the h.d. payload pkg and had the smae thing happen. Had the tires rebalanced, problem solved. But had a buddy who's a mech. look at it for me anyway and he noticed some play in the balljoints, not much, and said I probably will have to replace them at some time. That was a year ago. I'm pretty hard on the truck and drive alot of country roads so that would'nt suprise me too much anyhow.Well, shaking returned a year later and had the tires rebalanced again, problem solved again. I'm going to have the balljoints looked at again anyway and see what happens.Don't know if this helps any, so good luck.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 shake between 50 - 60 Mph