Ever had to sand brake shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever had to sand brake shoes?

A few months ago I replaced my front pads/rotors and just my rear drums. Then yesterday I had time to throw my rear shoes on. My drums came off perfectly fine but after I put the new shoes on I had to force the drums back on and couldnt even get them to turn with a crowbar between the lugs. So I ended up using some long strips of 50 grit sandpaper I think it was. My drivers side is fine now, but the other side is still pretty stiff. Its definately good and hot after driving. I even sanded a little on the lip of the drums.
The parking brake was off.
The adjusters were all the way in.
The shoes were all the way in.

They were NAPA Tru-Stop shoes.

Holy crap, has anyone ever seen or had to do this?

Last edited by JTDEERE; 04-22-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 PM
First, you should have left the rears untill you had time to do it all. It's never a good idea to put old pads/shoes on a new rotor/drum. Inspect the drums to be sure they don't need turning, unlikely, but possible, depending on how hard they were worked. The old shoes may have grooved/ridged them enough to hamper the install with new pads. And I have used sandpaper on pads/shoes to remove a glazing on the surface, and once to reduce a squeel......
Make sure the wheel cylinders are in good working order. Don't know if this is contributing to your situation, but may be worth a look.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by F151
but may be worth a look.
Absolutely! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I had the same thing happen to me on my gf's 00. She then complained of the smell and noises, so I took the drum off and the new shoes have hairline cracks long ways. I'm pretty sure the cylinder is shot, not looking forward to fixing it and redoing the shoes again.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
I had the same thing happen to me on my gf's 00. She then complained of the smell and noises, so I took the drum off and the new shoes have hairline cracks long ways. I'm pretty sure the cylinder is shot, not looking forward to fixing it and redoing the shoes again.

Quick Reply: Ever had to sand brake shoes?