Question on rear drums w/ABS on '92 Fi50

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on rear drums w/ABS on '92 Fi50

My son recently bought a '92 F-150 4x2 that has rear drums and rear ABS (5.8 L engine and automatic trans). The "Rear ABS" warning lamp is on, as is the brake warning lamp. We replaced the brake pads and shoes (front and rear) and bled the rear brakes. The pedal still feels a little spongy, but I couldn't get the bleeder valves open on the front calipers - I even tried channel locks after the head rounded off. I may just get new calipers for the front, but that isn't my main problem: After making a hard stop, the left rear brake won't release properly. It may be both rear brakes, but the left is the only one that appears to get hot. At this point, I don't know if this is a problem with the ABS, or just a bad wheel cylinder. Is there a fuse or something so I can temporarily disable the rear ABS to isolate the problem? I am really pushed for time, because my son needs to drive to Ohio (320 mile trip) tonight or tomorrow morning, at the latest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Click my signature link & look in the Brakes & Hubs album for a diagram of the RABS system with the procedure for pulling codes in its caption. You can also find diagrams showing the proper way to assemble the rear brakes (lots of people get things out-of-place). Also, Ford released a TSB about sticking brake shoes, due primarily to inferior lining materials on many aftermarket shoes. I don't think I have it uploaded yet, but you can probably find it with a little searching.

You don't have to do anything - the system is failsafe, so even with the yellow light on, you still have normal brakes. If the RED brake light comes on, you have problems.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve83
Click my signature link & look in the Brakes & Hubs album for a diagram of the RABS system with the procedure for pulling codes in its caption. You can also find diagrams showing the proper way to assemble the rear brakes (lots of people get things out-of-place). Also, Ford released a TSB about sticking brake shoes, due primarily to inferior lining materials on many aftermarket shoes. I don't think I have it uploaded yet, but you can probably find it with a little searching.

You don't have to do anything - the system is failsafe, so even with the yellow light on, you still have normal brakes. If the RED brake light comes on, you have problems.
Good page - Very helpful. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Question on rear drums w/ABS on '92 Fi50