Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure

I live close to a besch and I never have lowered tire presure on the sand. Does lowering the tire presure help? Also, will the tires get damaged running on low pressure. I dont know?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Yes in order to run on the beach you will have to lower the tire pressure. When the pressure is lowered it creates a larger "footprint" in the sand therefore creating more area that the tire covers on the sand. This will enable you to so called "float" across the sand as opposed to digging in if you were running max psi in the tires. I would recommend anywhere from 12-18psi in the tires. I usually run about 18 and never had any problems, but if it is soft, thick sand, then you will want to go lower on the pressure. Running that low will not normally cause you to pop off the bead, as long as you aren't taking sharp turns or doing something stupid with the pressure that low. Once you come off the beach, you need to reinflate the tires to the regular psi. It is ok to drive a short distance with the pressure low, just don't take long trips with is low or you will run into problems...sorry for the long post but hope that helps..

Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
thanks

Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 PM
I live at the dunes. And I'll go to about 12#'s without a problem.

If your just cruzin the beach 15-18 will do just fine. But if your looking to play in the deep sand I'd go about 12ish.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure