Brake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Swap

Howdy guys! I have a lot of parts sitting at home for me to install, the lift of my currently stock truck to 5, or 6 inches depending on what spacer I go with. All I was wondering is with 33, or 35" tires am I going to need new brakes? I would really like to keep the same braking power I have now, but with at least 33" I know they are going to be hampered a bit. Does anyone have any recomendations for if I should upgrade pads, or rotors, or both? I am keeping the stock rim so a bigger rotor is a no-go, but a stock sized cross-drilled rotor would work as well. How much would this all run me? Thanks and I am sorry in advance for having such a vague post, I would just like to gather some information.
~Phil

Old 05-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with wagner thermoquiet pads. i installed a pair on my 97 last week and they are great. they have a soild feel to tham and dont create much dust.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
So you think that just the pads will help? Are new rotors not necessary? I will look up those pads though thanks!
~Phil

Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM
whats the condition of your stock rotors??? if they are down to there last turn. mightn as well get some slotted ones. i have 130k and previous owner replaced the them they look maybye 10-15k miles old so.. i would just keep brakes the way they are. if you were going to do lots of towing etc.. id say upgrade calipers and rotors etc.. otherwise no need.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 05-08-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I will be doing a decent amount of towing when my family moves, my sisters 93 BMW (prolly won't make the trip alone so I gotta tow it lol) and my mom's Horse w/ Trailer, and John Deere Lawn Tractor, and my weight room on a flat-bed trailer, and eventually a Wrangler once I cash in my enlistment bonus. In this case, what do you recomend as far as rotors go?
~phil
Edit: The Stock rotors are in decent condition not great, but definately not on thier last leg. Also I will be carting that wrangler and stuff accross the country when I get reassigned to different bases down the line.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
in that case yea some bigger calipers and rotors might do the trick. stainless steel brakes make all kinds of stuff, wilwood, baer. they all make quality brake parts. if your going to be hauling around a wrangler youll need al that. go to summitracing.com click on brake section.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 05-08-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:42 PM
If you choose to upgrade rotors, beware; the old ones are a mother to remove. If you have a tough time getting them off, clean the hub up and give it a good layer of anti-sieze before installing the new ones. It's amazing that Ford didn't do that at the factory.

Quick Reply: Brake Swap