progress of my body lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007 | 06:54 PM
|
progress of my body lift

I am gonna work on my body lift a bit each evening, so I thought I'd post my progress. I haven't received the lift yet, but I have read the instructions online many times so far:

I worked on the bed bolts today. the back two came right out, the middle two, well the nuts on the "speed-clips" in the frame spun, so I was able to get vise-grips on them then I was able to remove those two. then came the front two (closest to the cab). I broke my torx bit on the first one, so I went ahead and welded nuts on the head of the bolts. then I used an impact and they just spun (the nuts on the "speed-clips" broke loose). so anways I went ahead and got out the grinder and cut the heads off those bolts. now the bed is loose, but the remaining part of the bolts I ground out is still in the holes. I guess once I am able to lift the cab, I'll be able to lift the bed over those bolts. but I dunno how to remove the remaining bolt/speed-clip

I hope I don't have to re-use the speed-clips with the new bolts, b/c 3 of the 6 are ruined......

Old 05-07-2007 | 07:19 PM
go to the hardware store and get six nuts that fit the bed bolts that came with the kit. I torched and grinded all mine out and thats what i did. I did mine two weeks ago and all is working well so far

Old 05-07-2007 | 07:40 PM
I just looked at my kit and i didn,t see nuts for the bed bolts.Like budsstuf said get some new nuts and prob washers.Ya got me thinking now,i guess i will install mine in a week or 2 also.I can't keep looking at all of them on here and leave it alone

According to my instructions the bolts are 12mm x 1.75 x 180mm
hope that helps

Last edited by Kevin24; 05-07-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2007 | 08:59 PM
|
thanks guys. I thought of getting nuts for the new bolts too, 5 of the 6 will be real easy to get too underneth, the one inside the shock mount will be a pain. I am still a little worried about getting the front two bolts out, the ones I cut the heads off. I think once the cab is up I'll be able to lift the bed over those cut off bolts...

did your body bolts come out with any problems? if the bed bolts were any indication, I'm not looking forward to the body bolts....

I've also got the bumpers off, the the filler neck loosened up, and the front carpet up and those bolt heads exposed. like I said I am gonna work on this a bit everynight after work. I am a little worried about the radiator, the instructions say to remove it but some people here say it's not necesary to remove it, I guess I'll find out.

Old 05-07-2007 | 10:45 PM
i grinded the front two out cause of the gas tank and some wires otherwise i would have torched them to. But with the two that i grinded out i just got a punch and a hammer and knocked them out. And i didnt take my radiator out. didnt even undo the hoses. but what i did do was cut the fan shroud out with a sawzall and then threw it away. the body bolts were'nt as bad but they still were'nt easy. i had to sawzall one out and then used a nut and washer and a spare bushing but i would try to avoid doing that. Its nice to have somebody else to help you thats for sure. i have some pictures from when i did mine but have'nt put them on my computer yet. just take your time and do it right and the reward will be awesome for only having to spend a couple hundred dollars

Old 05-08-2007 | 08:57 AM
Dondiesel,is your truck originally from SC?Just wondering how mine will be.

Old 05-08-2007 | 06:39 PM
|
truck is originally from up North, a little rust underneth but not too bad...

today's progress: before I got rained out, I got the 6 cab bolts in the body out, they came out pretty easy, except the 2 under the carpet, they weren't tight just not much room to swing the rachet under the carpet. I also began removing some of the smaller items, fan shround, lines on frame etc...

that's it untill it started pouring rain on me....

Old 05-08-2007 | 07:15 PM
Thanks for the update I changed my fuel pump today and all of the bolts on mine have no rust so we will see how my BL goes.Have you decided on rims and tires yet?It never rained here,about 20min west summerville.Where are you at?

Old 05-08-2007 | 07:29 PM
Keep the updates coming. Can you take digital pictures?

Old 05-08-2007 | 09:07 PM
|
Originally Posted by Kevin24
Thanks for the update I changed my fuel pump today and all of the bolts on mine have no rust so we will see how my BL goes.Have you decided on rims and tires yet?It never rained here,about 20min west summerville.Where are you at?
I live in Longs, by N. Myrtle Beach. my truck does have some rust underneth. I guess I should have taken some pics from the start, maybe I'll remember tomorrow...

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:56 PM
|
update:

I got the lift blocks in!! pretty straight forward, jack up the cab, slide the blocks under, put some locktite on the new bolts and torque them down. the bed bolts, I have to get some nuts for them tomorrow as I was unable to re-use the factory "speed-nuts"

one thing I am not to happy about with the kit, is the way you lenghten the filler neck for the gas tank. instead of cutting the factory hose and using the spacer, I think a longer hose would
work and look a lot better. but I guess it will work fine and I'll forget about it soon enough, it was kinda tight under there and the factory hose clamps were rusted, so I replaced them with new ones.

as far as the radiator shroud goes, I have no idea why they want you to remove the radiator from the truck. there are two small clips on the top, I just took pliers and snapped them off, then for the lower clips I used my Dremmel and cut them right off. saved myself a lot of time, I appreciate the guys who told me I didn't have to remove the radiator from the truck!!

tomorrow I have to put the bumpers on, bolt the bed down, and do a few more odds and ends, then I'll be all done!!

I think I have about 6-6.5 hours into it up to this point.

Old 05-10-2007 | 08:12 PM
I can't wait to see some pics!

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:53 PM
|
well it's all finished!!

hardest part was getting the front bumper lined back up. I trimmed the frame like it says in the directions with my grinder, took only a few minutes. tightened up the bed bolts using nuts, the one inside the pass. side shock mount was tricky, I had to tape the nut to the wrench and have someone tighten the bolt from up in the bed. that was the only time I needed a helper with the whole project, I held the two nuts for the bed bolts underneth while someone tightened them up in the bed. I got the rear bumper on and went back and made sure I didn't miss anything. I installed the gap guards too. with everything I think I've got 9-10 hours into it. like others have said, it's not a hard job, just time consuming, lots of little things to install/modify. the instructions are pretty good, but the pictures are terrible, they were blury and hard to even make out what your looking at, looks like there were photo-copied too many times.

I really appreciate everyone who gave advice and helped me out with the install, thanks for everything!!

I'll get some pics after I get my tires and wheels installed next week. I'm goin with 315/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTX's on chrome Rock Crawlers.

Old 05-11-2007 | 09:03 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to see pictures. Where did you get your kit? I am going to get the courage up to do mine.

Old 05-13-2007 | 07:27 AM
|
I got the kit and the gap guards from 4 Wheel Parts. I had a coupon also. pics will be up soon...

Quick Reply: progress of my body lift