Tires for a better ride, tire guys??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by APT
I have the BFG AT KO w/ 40k miles. Tread looks half worn. They suck in the snow compared to the Revos I had on my last truck. There aren't enough sipes and the compound is too hard.

FYI, the BFG AT LT265/70R17 Load C has lower laod rating, rides stiffer, and less on-road traction than some p-rated tires of the same size.
You need to reread some of the pages that list the ratings. They will list what is on the tire but have a footnote that states the rating is lower for this application. Meaning truck.
As for snow, never been stuck with the BFG, except when the packed snow lifted the body of the truck.

This is straight off the LTX web page.

* Passenger sizes used in Light Truck/SUV applications have reduced load capacity. This will differ from the maximum load branded on the tire sidewall.

Last edited by kingfish51; 05-16-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kingfish,

I saw that warning re: p tires and load rating on trucks, but didn't understand how load capactiy would be different on a car vs. a truck.

ANYWAY, I BOUGHT TIRES!

Went a different way than what I was talking about with the Michelin MS's.
I wanted an all terrain tire but with the best ride I could find
which was the whole reason I was buying new tires. Went to tire track and looked at their ratings. Chose the Firestone Destination as it had the highest rating for comfort of all AT tires and was rated high in other areas as well. The tread design was less aggressive which I thought would add to it's comfort level and felt it was aggressive enough for me since I really don't do any off roading but do occasionally need something to get me out of construction sites. It was a less expensive tire @ 146.99 ea. much cheaper than the Michelins (which I'm sure is an excellent tire). 265/70/17 rated at 2535lbs max load. 44 lb max PSI. heavy enough to handle any thing I might be hauling/pulling with the truck over short distances. There is a notable difference in ride over my old 245/70/17 load range E tires. They seem to handle fine. I think the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo would be an excellent tire as well. Built like the Destination by Firestone but with a different tread pattern. Ranked very high in all areas. The only reason I didn't buy those was because of comfort level (slightly less), and price. They were 172.99 ea.

This whole tire purchase thing for me was somewhat of an experiment to see how much tires would improve my ride in my heavy duty half ton, so I didn't want to NOT go with a tire that wasn't rated highly in the comfort area, than always wonder if I could have gotten a better ride if the ride wasn't markedly improved. I am happy with my purchase. My truck feels like it now rides more like a truck instead of a lumber wagon. From here if I want to try and obtain an even better ride I can, maybe try different shocks, or even play with the springs. But I feel the tires made about as big a difference as anything else could have. I actually enjoy driving my truck now. So if anyone is wondering how much of a difference tires can make it ride quality, I can say significant.

Figgy

Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by figgy
Kingfish,

I saw that warning re: p tires and load rating on trucks, but didn't understand how load capactiy would be different on a car vs. a truck.
I suspect the reason is that on a car to have that amount of weight on the tires would be temporary. Only when towing or multiple passengers would it be at or near the limit. For trucks that weight is there pretty much all the time and the tiores can not handle it. If the p series tires were not at their limit, the recommended pressure would not be the max psi of the tire. The LT load range tires are recommended to be kept at 40, 10psi below their max.
What you purchased is considered a P series extra load. Max psi of 44. You will probably want to keep them near 35-40 range. I would not go lower than 35. Just keep an eye on the tread wear to see if you need to go higher or if you use nearer 40, go lower.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get em filled with Nitrogen as well, helps smooth out the ride, and pro- longs wear and tear!!

Quick Reply: Tires for a better ride, tire guys??