Curb weight, tire load?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Curb weight, tire load?

Does anyone know the curb weight of a 2004 screw lariat. It is 2wd, automatic with the 5.4l engine. This truck also has the short 5.5 foot bed.

I believe the new tires that were put on my truck are a little under rated. The tires that are on are Bfgoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A size P265/60R18 109T M+S. On the tire itself its says the max payload is 2271lbs and they are 2 ply construction. At 35 psi which is what the tire says, no matter how the truck is parked on flat surface or on an incline it always looks like all the tires are low.

Has anyone notice this?
Should I have choose a tire with a 3 ply construction?
Or am I being too critical?
My wife drives this truck so I want to make sure it is safe.

Thanks Kevin

Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I am not certain about California registrations but in Virginia the weight is on the registration and it should be around 6000 lbs. 2271 lbs X 4 = 9084 lbs so unless you load it heavy or tow a large load you should be OK.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, you can not go by the weight on the tire when used on a light truck. The real weight carrying ability is lower. Your truck has a GVWR of about 7200lbs and an GAWR (axle carrying ability) of about 4000lbs. You are at the limit of those tires. Personally, I prefer a load range C LT tire. You can use what you have, but you can not overload the vehicle. Those will handle okay, but the vehicle will lean more in turns etc.
Looking at the BFG site, those tires are rated at 2065lbs at 35psi. so you lose about 200lbs carrying ability in this case.
One thing to make sure of is that the tires do not go low on pressure. Keep a good track of the cold pressure (35).

Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Unfortunately, you can not go by the weight on the tire when used on a light truck. The real weight carrying ability is lower. Your truck has a GVWR of about 7200lbs and an GAWR (axle carrying ability) of about 4000lbs. You are at the limit of those tires. Personally, I prefer a load range C LT tire. You can use what you have, but you can not overload the vehicle. Those will handle okay, but the vehicle will lean more in turns etc.
Looking at the BFG site, those tires are rated at 2065lbs at 35psi. so you lose about 200lbs carrying ability in this case.
One thing to make sure of is that the tires do not go low on pressure. Keep a good track of the cold pressure (35).

Thanks for the info kingfish51.
I knew I should have gone with a higher load, but we just got this truck. I had the dealer put new tires on and I told them just put on what was there before.
Luckily at this time I not towing anything at all, not even stuff in the rear. May be in a year or two I might so then I'll worry about getting new tires.

I have had these tires for about 3 weeks less than a month you think I could return them and get better.

Kevin

Old 08-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbmadcow
Thanks for the info kingfish51.
I knew I should have gone with a higher load, but we just got this truck. I had the dealer put new tires on and I told them just put on what was there before.
Luckily at this time I not towing anything at all, not even stuff in the rear. May be in a year or two I might so then I'll worry about getting new tires.

I have had these tires for about 3 weeks less than a month you think I could return them and get better.

Kevin
Honestly, I doubt they would let you, but there is no harm in trying. My truck came with Hankooks that are a p series. I just replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. So far so good. Big difference on things like cornering. Tires don't tuck under near as much.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by cbmadcow
Does anyone know the curb weight of a 2004 screw lariat. It is 2wd, automatic with the 5.4l engine. .Thanks Kevin

Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GVWR is 7050 pounds with rear axle rating around 4000 pounds as Kingfish said. So, two tires @ load 2065ea is close to the rear axle rating. They are fine when used within the ratings of truck, but be careful if you overload the bed.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Screw Onwers Do not by BFgoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A's

Bringing back an old thread,

So we have been driving this truck for about 6 months now. The tires are looking scary the 2 front tires with 35 psi now have a larger bulge making them look like they are going flat. It is getting so bad that people will tell me i need to put air in them.
So after doing some more research I see that I should have gone with the BF Goodrich AT. I checked there stats and there Max load is a whopping 3300lbs that is 1300 more than the ones that are on there now. I just can't believe more people haven't had a problem with these tires on there truck, I see tons of Ford's with them and they look fine. Well live and learn I guess.

Please people anyone looking to buy new tires for there Screw DO NOT BUY BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A's they just don't have enough load capacity for the truck. Add a couple of people and some stuff in the back and you got a disaster brewing.

As soon as I can get the money these may pop's are coming off.

Kevin

Last edited by cbmadcow; 12-11-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Curb weight, tire load?