Front Rotor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Rotor Removal

I know (or at least I would bet) this has been covered before, but I cannot find the simple answer for my question.

I replaced the back pads and rotors on my '02 Lariat (5.4), and when I came to replace the front, it appears they are held on as part of the wheel bearing assembly. So I need to take off that bigass nut.

Does anyone know what size that nut is and do I need a bearing puller to help me get the rotor off ?? I'm hoping I just buy the right socket, and when the nut comes off the rotor will come with it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Are you sure its held on? I guess I dont know because I haven't done brakes on an 02, but I have on a 97, 00, and 01... and it looks like its held on because of how the rotor is designed, but you take the caliper bracket off, give the rotor a few good wacks and off it comes. Of course they may have redesigned it, I dunno...

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Is this what your brake setup looks like:

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I thought about that, and did try to persuade it a bit. I cannot imagine they have redesigned it between the 01 and 02. Hopefully someone can confirm your info, in which case I'll get out the 10 pounder . . .

Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Yip, that's her alright.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
If thats what it resembles, just get out the hammer and give her a few good whacks. If that does do it get a propane torch and heat up the area where the rotor comes into contact with the hub, it'll cause hte metal to become more flexible, and will pop off easier. Should look something like this with shiny new rotors on it:

Take a look at this: http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html for more info.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Matt, thanks a bunch. I'll have at 'er in the weekend. Your web site is very useful, and I guess I just needed assurance that I wasn't whacking the rotor for no reason.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Snooze
I know (or at least I would bet) this has been covered before, but I cannot find the simple answer for my question.
You're right. It's been covered many times. Did you use the search function? Try searching for "frozen front rotor" and hope yours isn't stuck too bad.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by mattadams
If thats what it resembles, just get out the hammer and give her a few good whacks. If that does do it get a propane torch and heat up the area where the rotor comes into contact with the hub, it'll cause hte metal to become more flexible, and will pop off easier.
Not to be a stickler for details... but a propane torch won't be enough to make the metal flexible. The reason it works is that as you heat up the rotor it expands, thereby moving away from the hub and coming loose.

This method is used alot for installing / removing bushings and bearings. For some applications, they will actually freeze the shaft with liquid nitrogen and then heat the hub (bushing, etc) with an induction coil so they can slide the parts together and then when they return to the same temperature it is a press fit.

PS - do NOT use this method to remove stubborn gas line fittings

Old 08-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Sounds to me like the rotors rusted on....You could try to heat it or get a good gear puller.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I've used it on my dads drum brakes to get the drum off, figured it'd be the same for rotors.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
at work I use my nice 3lb sledge... break the rotors by hitting on the braking surface... takes usually one or two whacks... clean off the rust and apply a nice thin coat of anti-seize to make your next project with the rotors a bit easier...

Warning... should only be done like this by people who have experience with it... hitting too hard might cause a bit more breaking where you don't want it to...

Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at ford we just whacked with 8 lbs. crack the braking surface right off

Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Exclamation Just had same problem with the rear Rotor on my 2000

I used an air-powered hammer and it broke all the rust loose. The other methods could ruin your existing rotor or yourself if you miss while swinging..lol.

The air hammer is loud but it took about 5 miutes per side hitting between each stud.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
soak the backside of the rotors inside where they fir to the bearing/hub with thrush or some other good penetrator and let them soak overnight. it made mine come off very easy considering the salt thay get pounded with here in buffalo. just a couple of taps with a 3 pounder ( and i really mean taps ) on the outside edge and they wiggled right off.

Definitely clean the surfaces really well and coat with bearing grease to keep the oxidation down to make it easier next time.

Quick Reply: Front Rotor Removal