Which upgrade Pads would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... they weren't spongy before - you change the pads - now they're spongy.

Explain how a pad change gets air in the system, please. I really wanna know.

Could it be the pads simply are not as 'grippy' as the stockers especially when cold? Did you prep the rotor surface, and them properly break in the pads are per the TireRack article? Any, or all, of those would be my vote.

And: not driving much = less dust.

Someone skipped Logic 101 class for a day!

BTW - Wagner TQ's = . Inexpensive, readily available, great braking, kind to rotors, and very little dust, even after actually driving the truck !
Blah Blah Blah...

Its been over 1000 miles now and love these break pads! Hardley no dust at all and makes the world of differance stopping now. BTW didnt have to bleed the brakes.

welfare wagon...Yeah I almost went with the Hawk LTS pads also but for some reaosn didnt. They would of been my next choice then the Wagner TQ's.

Last edited by F150FXOnline; 11-15-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
welfare wagon...Yeah I almost went with the Hawk LTS pads also but for some reason didn't. They would of been my next choice then the Wagner TQ's
I had been running the Wagner TQ's before upgrading to Hawk LTS and Powerslots. For the money the Wagner's are the way to go for less dusting, I have used them on my last 2 vehicles also.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Rotated my tires this morning and checked my Wagner TQ brake pads. About 47,000 miles on them and look to have at least half life, maybe more. Rotors were smooth as well.

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-15-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
if you are trying to avoid brake dust you need to go with ceramic pads they are not much more expensive and leave virtually no brake dust.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
if you are trying to avoid brake dust you need to go with ceramic pads they are not much more expensive and leave virtually no brake dust.
Correct and thats what the AKEBONO Pads are. (ceramic)

Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by mustangraven
Not from my experiences, dust was normalish but they just squeeled after putting some miles on it. I'm thinking maybe I needed better rotors? who knows. Performance was the same as stock, maybe a hair better. After switching to semi-metallics (same mfgr and brand- Carquest), I've never been happier.

I'm pretty sure my dad's 07 Cobra has ceramics, brake nice (Brembo assembly) but the dust is crazy bad. He's switching to Porterfields Kevlar blah blah, so we'll see if that helps. Brakes are brakes, but stick with what works for you, the same may not apply to the next guy.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Not from my experiences, dust was normalish but they just squeeled after putting some miles on it. I'm thinking maybe I needed better rotors? who knows. Performance was the same as stock, maybe a hair better. After switching to semi-metallics (same mfgr and brand- Carquest), I've never been happier.

I'm pretty sure my dad's 07 Cobra has ceramics, brake nice (Brembo assembly) but the dust is crazy bad. He's switching to Porterfields Kevlar blah blah, so we'll see if that helps. Brakes are brakes, but stick with what works for you, the same may not apply to the next guy.
Thats odd I always read here in the forums ceramics created less brake dust thats why I bought them. I did here some say its hard on the rotors not sure if its true but not enough negitive to talk me out of buying them. My pads dont create any dust at all if so I cant tell it honestly. Its truely amazing changing from fords stock breaks!! Its like anything they make so many differant brands and probably 99% are going to be better then fords stock brake pads!!!

but stick with what works for you, the same may not apply to the next guy.
In the end thats all that matters and couldnt agree more!!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:09 PM
No foolin eh, nothing is really guaranteed. All I hear is how bad the new style stock brakes are on the f-150's and I see it alot, but then my dad's 07 FX4 with 20's had nothing even close. I'm waiting to see my brother's 08 Limited what happens to it, haha, it has white rims too. The ceramics I had like I said dusted maybe a bit more than stock which wasn't bad or overly noticeable. They were hard on the rotors which I think caused the loud squeeling, 2 sets did the exact same thing at about the same time km's wise. The old man's Cobra rotors look like mirrors they are so smooth and no grooves etc, but dust terribly.

It's good you found a good ceramic combo here, not many I hear about. The guys at Carquest here were very surprised how much I detested their ceramics and wanted to know how I liked the "blue" semi-metallics. I gave them alot of feedback which I think they appreciated. The one guy I deal with is a friend of the family really and got that way selling us and finding what we needed. This way he could advise others and giving customers satisfaction.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Blue , Yea I'm still running the Carquest Blues - Still NO brake dust here - even pulling a trailer(3500 lbs) without a KH trailer brake set up , No dust..That's all on the front discs , I have drums in the back..

I still have those Carquest Ceramics in the box which Carquest replaced free. I haven't tried them yet , but they swear that they have been re-worked because of complaints in the past..

I wonder if anybody has tried there new Ceramics and what the outcome is.?

There all Black instead of the older type which were Gold..

Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Yup, those "gold" ones were very problematic for me. I always thaught CQ used a color system to rate and gold was top, blue second, then black bieng like OE replacement then red for economy, or the last 2 the other way. People on here have also said the "blue" pads come ceramics as well? Next time I'm in, I'll have to check because I usually say the warrantied semi-metallics and add the "blue" ones and they just nod. I myself see no need to try ceramics again, sticking to what works. I don't see the justification of spending nearly double for minor increases if any. I think if I decide to go bigger rims, I'll get a bigger brake kit or something. My bro just got an 08 Limited and the stock brakes look puney on 22"s. Can wait to see how badly his dust issue is on white/polished rims are

Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL, The Blues I use have a 2 year warranty and these are also the same pads I have used through out the years on the family's rides and love them. I tried the Golds(full Ceramics) one time when they were gold in color - those are the ones I had problems with as you have with the exception that they warped the hell out of my stock rotors. I replaced the rotors w/brembo's. When they replaced the golds and they were black - I questioned that right away. That's when I got the explanation about the update. Those are still in the box - I doubt I'll ever use them. The Blues have sold me many times over.

Update: I went to there website. Best that I can figure is that the replacements they gave me are the "REDs" . They have a picture of the reds which look exactly like the ones they gave me in place of the golds. I'm thinking they eliminated the gold series.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-18-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Which upgrade Pads would you choose?