Annoying Brake Noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying Brake Noises

Hello all,

I hope the group can help me identify the source of annoying but seemingly harmless noises.

The front driver side brake of my 01 Scab has a continuous squeak when the wheel is turning. When the brake is applied the squeak is louder and every so often (interval of several weeks) is extremely loud with a grinding/scraping noise that sounds like metal on metal. The rotors and pads have less than 10K miles on them and seem to be barely broken in.

Has anyone else every experienced something like this or am I being too picky by wanting a squeak free truck? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Maybe the tiny tabs on the pad sliders aren't bent and the slider is pushed into the caliper, just a thought. I'd be taking the wheel off and giving it a good look, alot of time the picture tells the story, turn the rotor a bit, maybe a bolt is loose. who can tell. A louder squeel is kinda from the cv boot getting old and the rubber wearing. A quick soak of silicone lube takes care of that no problem, this is usually brakes or no brakes though.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

It is probably a stone caught in there. Put it in reverse and put your right foot on the brake and right on the gas and with the brakes firmly held drive backwards and that usually gets rid of the annoying little rocks that get in my brakes

Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Alot of times too and I forgot to mention this is that missed spots of antisieze can cause noises like this, trust me.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will check out each suggestion to see if it resolves the situation.

Quick Reply: Annoying Brake Noises