Removing rotors for turning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing rotors for turning?

I had my brake pads replaced recently (my son needed some money) and I did not have my front rotors turned. Now, the brakes shake and shimmy, so I need to get my rotors turned. My truck has 97K miles, I've never had them turned so I'm hoping they will be OK without having to replace them. Anyway, has anyone taken rotors off a 97 F150 to have turned? Is there any special tools or any bit of knowledge that will make this not turn into a nightmare on Elm street? I haven't done any reading yet so don't flame me out, wondered if I could get a scoop on how to do it ahead of time or any tricks/tools that I might need that I don't have already.
Thanks!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Just need to remove 2 bolts to remove the caliper and 1 or 2 bolts to remove the caliper bracket, the rotor should come right off. Don't let the caliper dangle by the hose, tie it off to something. The rotor could be rusted on, it that case you whould need to tap it with a rubber mallet or maybe heat it up with a torch. I have heard of some that just won't come off and have to be beaten/broken off with a sledge. Hope it's not the case, but you may have runined your pads already if its shaking under braking.

Last edited by TRITON_2002; 08-27-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks, doesn't sound too different than what I've seen in the past. I'll give it a whiz either this week or this coming weekend.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Try turning a five gallon drywall bucket upside down. Rest the caliper on that, its just the right height.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
I just got through doing the brakes on a '97 F150. Same thing as it's always been except for the bolt on bracket. If your rotors haven't ever been turned and don't have any deep gouges in them just let someone like Autozone or O'Reiley's do the job, get some good quality pads like Carquest or Wagners and put it back together just like it came off (just reverse your steps). Just make sure to tighten everything up snug.

Remember the more "meat" (metal) that's on the stopping surface the less fade you'll have during hard stops. Replacement rotors don't cost that much so if you need them or are close to needing them don't hesitate to get them. I've always used Wagner replacement rotors and have been very pleased with the results.

At 97000 miles it's not a bad idea to buy all new wheel bearings and seals while you've got it all apart anyway.

Quick Reply: Removing rotors for turning?